What Canoe????

Home Forums About Canoes What Canoe????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    OneBadApple
    Participant

please chim in not bein nozy just curious what everybody else is paddling…I’ve always rented or borrowed but we finally got our own canoe and we love it.. Got a 1998 SWIFT Kipawa for 500.00 the dude only used it a couple times, oh it was faded (light blue) and the wood was really dryed out but i have since cleaned this puppy up and we are just having a wonderful time paddling it WOW is it fast too us…
    Well it will end up being the one we loan out to friends and family to use because im already dreamin of my new swift dumoine or BELL yellowstone tandem gotta have a GREEN royalex canoe just not to sure how durable the (expedition kevlar) i think its supposed to be 54#’s and when i talked to mr. swift on the phone thats what he figured it should be… well
    besides the huron river we also frequent the sturgeon river up in cheboygan county mi and them rocks and logs come up really fast hehe
    im kinda looking for someone to let me know if i should worry so much cause i have no knowledge about my swift!?!?
    thanks
    OBA

notlobm
    Participant

Your kevlar boat is perfect for MI rivers…provided you have the skills where you’re not bashing into every rock in the river 🙂 and aren’t dragging it through boney shallow water. It’s plenty tough and Swift’s expedition lay-up is very strong. Enjoy paddling it.
    MB

OneBadApple
    Participant

mb thanks much for the info on our canoe we’ll do our best to not rock and roll…

houlibar
    Participant

I got my first canoe last July while we were vacationing in the UP near Marquette. It’s an Old Town 14′-7″ Guide. It’s flat bottom makes it perfect for exploring the shallow river behind the house. But it’s not an able vessel out on Superior. So I keep it close to the shore and basicaly it’s just a big beach toy on the lake. Eventualy I plan to get another canoe that will be capable of day trips to Grande Island or tours along the Pictured Rocks.

OneBadApple
    Participant

alright houlibar i luv them guide 147’s my BIL has used one for years pretty much bullet proof, matter of fact my canoe will be surrounded by them this weekend on his 10 canoe trailer….
    glad to see you posted up 62 views im still wondering what them lurkers are paddling!?!? just be nice to get this website rollin down the river with some chatty paddlers..

houlibar
    Participant

@OneBadApple 143 wrote:

glad to see you posted up 62 views im still wondering what them lurkers are paddling!?!? just be nice to get this website rollin down the river with some chatty paddlers..

I just found the forum this morning and registered. I agree, discussion boards are for just that, discussion! This looks like the makings of a very good forum. I hope it doesn’t fall into the pitfall of a “reading room!” I belong to a welding and metalworking forum and believe me, there is nothing more disappointing than posting photos of your projects and getting 200 views but only 2 replys. We call it the reading room syndrome! :rolleyes:

BTW, you canoe sure sounds sweet!

Canadienne
    Participant

I received an 17′ Old Town Canadienne from my father for my college graduation and absolutely love this boat. It is a painted (white) Kevlar that is stable, smooth and very fast. I’m not sure on the exact weight, but it is plenty light and an ease to portage.

canuckcamper
    Participant

I paddled an Old Towne Guide 147 for a couple of years…loved that boat….solid as a plank for casting and moving around in and the damn thing could take a poundin on rocks and never show it. Came to a sad realization that my regular trippin partners weren’t interested in doing as many trips as I was so if I wanted to get on the water I would have to go solo to get my “fix”. The Old Towne at 74lbs was just a little too heavy for one guy to be portin around with a pack load of gear and not seaworthy enough (read low gunwales) to be crossin larger lakes in wind and wave…so I sold it to one of my regular trippin partners:D.:eek:.:cool:. I picked up a “Holy Cow” canoe last November…15′ prospector in kevlar, at 50 lbs much better suited to my needs…..it is a tandem but serves me well on solo trips….it isn’t a particularly fast boat which is fine by me as I tend to be more of a “relaxed, slow and easy” style of paddler anyway….its got great stability for casting and handles the wind and wave very well…I used it to “canoe surf” up in Georgian Bay this summer…paddle out through the breakers then turn in a trough and ride the 4 foot swells back in…what a frickin hoot!!!!!!!!!! The best thing about this boat is it got me off of my paper pushin a$$ and out on the water where I want to be!

Kirk

canuckcamper
    Participant
    canuckcamper
    Participant

Gonna try this again…..

http://usera.imagecave.com/canuckcamper06/Mcrae_Lake/maholycow.jpg

Hope that came through!

Kirk

Preacher
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback on HolyCow, I’ve been eyeballing and stalling on buying a canoe since the snow melted.

Testing the embedded link action.
    maholycow.jpg

houlibar
    Participant

Good looking canoe, Kirk! 😎

canuckcamper
    Participant

How’d ya make that link work Preacher?

Are you goin to the FOG07….I’ll be there and you can get a better look at the “cow”!

Kirk

Preacher
    Participant

I can’t make it to FOG this year. 🙁

I just used image tags. Open Square Bracket img Close Square Bracket Open Square Bracket /img Close Square Bracket

canuckcamper
    Participant

Just testing the img thing ……

sunset.jpg[img]Kirk

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare