Gear you ALWAYS take with you?

Home Forums Gear for the trip Gear you ALWAYS take with you?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Dave-S
    Participant

I just got back from a BWCA trip and was thinking about the things that I make sure to always have along.

I need to have my Leatherman with me and my good old Silva Ranger compass. I got that thing back in college when I was about to go to “Forestry Boot-Camp” – the Itasca Field session.

Canadienne
    Participant

It’s not an essential piece of gear, but I never leave my camera at home. There are just too many photo opportunities to not have it.

I also always bring a 3rd pair of shoes. Most of my trips happen in the Spring and Fall when the water temps are fairly low. I travel with water shoes and then bring a pair of Chacos and trail running shoes to wear around camp. I am almost guaranteed to have a dry pair of shoes, which to me is really important. I have been caught in some cold weather with only wet shoes and I hopefully will never have to deal with that again.

Dave-S
    Participant

No kidding on the extra shoes. I forgot my sport sandals at home last trip so I was doing wet launches for my wood-canvas in my hiking boots. Luckily, I remembered that I had forgotten my sandals before leaving the truck so I brought my trail shoes, which I had planned to leave in the truck for the drive home.

Camera – check. Not only is it always along but it’s always HANDY. You never know when you might get a crack at something really cool.

My wife swears by her canoe “repair kit”. A roll of Duct tape. She did lots of white-water canoeing in college and litterally taped a boat back together after it was wrapped around a huge rock in a river.

I like having about 100 feet of good para-cord too. It can be used for so many things around camp from setting a bear-rope, clotheslines, tying off boats, making a make-shift anchor, hanging tarps or anchoring tents.

Micmac
    Participant

I like to bring 6 or 8 of the old fashion wooden close pins with the wire-o-springs. With that 100′ of cord you can string up close lines for drying out most anything. Or, if you’re handy with a knife, carve your own from a small dead branch-no springs attached. I understand you can a find real nice, hand made knives, from Dan in Sunburg.

Dave-S
    Participant

@timmy 27 wrote:

I like to bring 6 or 8 of the old fashion wooden close pins with the wire-o-springs. With that 100′ of cord you can string up close lines for drying out most anything. Or, if you’re handy with a knife, carve your own from a small dead branch-no springs attached. I understand you can find real nice, hand made knives, from Dan in Sunburg.

Dan does make a nice knife. I was just admiring a couple of his the other day. Actually, I had people try to buy them off my belt on two seperate occasions within the last week.

AndyB
    Participant

Some essential little things:

1. Lighter
    2. Duct Tape (flatten roll under a car)
    3. Sewing Kit
    4. Parachute Cord
    5. Iodine tablets or Polar Pure
    6. Multi-tool knife
    7. Lots of handkerchiefs
    8. Caribiners

tncook
    Participant

1.Water Purification and some sort of bottle:I have had good luck with the chorine dioxide tablets for water purification.
    2. Knife and usually a multi-tool as well
    3. Some sort of flashlight or headlamp
    4. raingear
    5. firestarter
    6. first aid kit
    7. hat
    8. paracord or something similar

Preacher
    Participant

Apart from the standard stuff everyone takes, stove, bag, knife…

Fishing gear. I love to fish. Great way to burn some time.

Often people note the standard stuff I frequently go without. Like a tent. Silly cutlery too, just a spoon and I don’t need a plate and a bowl and a wine glass. Just one mug.

pake rick
    Participant

@Preacher 56 wrote:

Fishing gear. I love to fish. Great way to burn some time.

Preacher, I’ve gotta admit that I’ve carried my fishing gear more than I’ve used it. (my bad, I know) But, in truth, I don’t know as much as I’d like to about it anyway. Gonna rely on Jerry and Bman to educate me a little in October. :confused:

Anyway, the piece of stuff I always carry……… my coffee mug. Finally found the one I like. Stainless, Thermos brand with a good handle and sealable top. I can clip it to my pack with no leaks. Keeps stuff hot all day, and I can sip hot coffee at lunch. At night it works great for those Hot Buttered Rums, right Barry? 😀

rick

Jerry R.
    Participant

Rick,
    That’s a good lead in to the gear I always take. 750 ml of something!! I think the hot buttered rums may be in order for next week!!

J

pake rick
    Participant

@Jerry R. 67 wrote:

Rick,
    That’s a good lead in to the gear I always take. 750 ml of something!! I think the hot buttered rums may be in order for next week!!

J

Oh yeah, Jer! The weather should be just right for them. Last fall Bmanand I enjoyed a little Yukon Jack, the Black Sheep of Canadian Spirits. In moderation of course! 😎

rick

Preacher
    Participant

@pake rick 66 wrote:

my coffee mug. Finally found the one I like. Stainless, Thermos brand with a good handle …

rick

Oh I love my mug. Not very large, but double wall. A few years back the handle broke off and now I love it that much more. Easier to pack. Weighs less. A lid would be nice.

A buddy swears by his Fair Share mug, but it’s too big for me. A fair share of coffee from the percolator goes cold fast in that bucket.

muireaton
    Participant

Along the coffe mug line….a great way to make coffee on trail is to bring one of those one-cup drippers (it sits right on top of your mug while the coffee drips)…usually some sort of screen built in so you don’t need filters. The best ones have a gold filter, but those are hard to find. With this, you may not even need to bring the coffee pot part of a cook kit…just boil water in any of your pots and pour directly into the one-cupper.

Another option if you are with a larger group with many coffee drinkers, is a plastic french press. Although it takes up a bit of pack space, it is very light and makes great coffee (afterall, its nice to have a few modern comforts on trail)! If you can find the one made by Bodum, this last me for many, many years. I have recently tried another plastic press that has broken very quickly three different times…can’t remember the brand. “Timmy” can you help me out with brand?? I would stay away from this one.

Hope these aren’t too obvious!

Micmac
    Participant

Yours last press was a GSI Lexan Java Press # 20289. I peronally like the one cup gold fiters better.

canuckcamper
    Participant

Coffeepot…I like my coffee hot and in large quantities…
    Fishing gear ala preacher
    camera
    A wee drop of the pure(Alberta Springs Premium Rye)
    and Me smokes!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare