yokes/thwart not sure

Home Forums About Canoes yokes/thwart not sure

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    OneBadApple
    Participant

hey gang i took out the solo?/extra seat in the kipawa think she’ll be a ok without it or should i add a thwart/or yoke in that area were the seat was???? i dunno it seems sturdy enough but was just wonderin???,if yah have time type out your opinions on this matter
    thank you
    OBA

pknoerr
    Participant

OK,

It depends…. If you are just taking the Kip down to Kent Lake, it should be fine. Are you taking it on a week on the AuSable? It’ll still make it. Two weeks on the Winisk? You probably want to rethink things.

I’ve taken seats, thwarts, decks, grab handles, etc out of canoes… It’s not that big a deal. Then check to see how fragile it is. Be careful not to smash it too hard into things. But it is surely durable enough to use it for a while… I have a solo Bell Flashfire that I took all the thwarts out of it, except for the center kneeling thwart. Six years later it’s no worse for the wear. In addition, I have a MRC Malecite that only has seats, and has zero thwarts…

PK

PK

OneBadApple
    Participant

you answered my question and i thank you much!!!! just glad i know that some names of swift canoes are river names or you’d have really screwed me up with winisk:D
    hey PK last sunday (we only had a few hours out there) but we put are canoe in pickeral lake and paddled around up a creek to crooked lake, grilled lunch at the boat launch,really enjoyed it thanks for the tip!!!
    OBA

pknoerr
    Participant

@OneBadApple 631 wrote:

you answered my question and i thank you much!!!! just glad i know that some names of swift canoes are river names or you’d have really screwed me up with winisk:D

Actually, I think all the tandem canoes in the Swift lineup are places you can actually canoe… Quetico, Algonquin, Temagami, Dumoine, Kipawa, Mattawa, Yukon, Madawaska, Yukon, Alabany. They are all reasonably named for where they might be used. The only tandem that I can think of that’s not a place is the Prospector 16, but every Canadian Canoe company seems to have one of those for better or worse (Worse in my book). The solos are all birds that I know… Heron, Loon, Osprey, Sheerwater, and Raven. This makes for a nice progression. Surely better than some manufacturers that muddle the waters with regard to naming convention. But we’ll avoid that topic.

I’m glad you liked Pickeral Lake/Crooked Lake. Not a wilderness adventure, but does in a pinch when I’m down on that side of the state. We got out for a 10 mile stretch on the South Branch of the Kalamazoo this weekend from Homer to Albion. It’s pretty shallow, but was nice to get on the water without having to drive too far. We saw dozens of deer, and enjoyed one last warm paddle before having to dig out the cold weather paddling gear.

PK

OneBadApple
    Participant

PK
    sounds like yall had a great day on the kayzoo,lisa and i did the upper huron from wixom rd to proud lake dam and back YES SIR i was happy to see that the canoes out there doubled the kayakers for once!!!!! and with the weather last weekend the ladies were all dressed properly:D for there last blast of fun in the sun!!!
    Now PK back to reality for me I just wanna thank you for bein one of the few who always has a answer for my canoeing questions!!!! I jumped on canoeing.com this morning all fired up to read what i have missed this week of bein back to work figuring i’d get some more knowledge, have to back paddle my way out of the bears pounding my packers or something of interest and it just isnt so???? but then again i stopped at a local big name book store to check into some more canoeing books and NOT ONE in stock a whole dam section on gay and lesbian’s!!!! boy oh boy did i give it to the lady at the information desk (big time) lol just short of a 911 call:D probably yeh i think i tipped her skirt the wrong way but i felt better about my new interest in canoes and the future of the world… hehe
    anyways pk lisa and i are i the market for a royalex rocky shallow mi river canoe for next year do you have any thoughts on those bell morningstars or tandem yellowstones 15’6″ oh nd the rei has a penobscot 16rx on sale right now??? so if you and the others have any suggestions on what might make a great second canoe for us were all ears!!!!
    thanks
    and hope you have a great fall paddle season…
    OBA

pknoerr
    Participant

@OneBadApple 650 wrote:

PK
    anyways pk lisa and i are i the market for a royalex rocky shallow mi river canoe for next year do you have any thoughts on those bell morningstars or tandem yellowstones 15’6″ oh nd the rei has a penobscot 16rx on sale right now??? so if you and the others have any suggestions on what might make a great second canoe for us were all ears!!!!
    thanks
    and hope you have a great fall paddle season…
    OBA

I won’t touch the gay lesbian issue… not the place and time…

Personally, I don’t think that royalex is needed for anything in the Lower Peninsula. A good composite canoe is all you need. You are gonna scratch it up…but that’s reality. Now you start running Class IIIs and I think royalex is the way to go, mainly because of the potential for wrapping the canoe. As to designs, I like the Bell Morningstar in composite. I’ve never paddled either the royalex version of the Morningstar or the Yellowstone tandem. But I’ve yet to find a royalex canoe that I prefer over the composite version. So that said, I find that all royalex canoes are slow heavy, and don’t really excite me…. that’s why I’ve only owned one, and these days I only paddle it in whitewater or in the winter because it’s deep and I don’t have to worry about it shipping water. The OT Penobscot is a great canoe… faster than either of the royalex Bell models. But if I were going to paddle any river in Lower Michigan and I had to pick between your Kip and any royalex canoe… I’d take the Kip.

PK

OneBadApple
    Participant

😀 pk you have a way of words and i picked up what yah laid down on that touchy subject lol…so our kip is as great as it feels,thats good to know or at least hear from you i still can’t believe we got it for 500.00…also good to hear we can stick with another composite gotta luv the weight issue,its so much better on my back!!!!
    boy now we’ll just loan out the kip for friends and family and get us a new kick it around the corners faster than a cup car composite canoe!!!! im feeling the wallet gettin lighter the more we chat here about canoes pk but what the heck i might as well go down river in style!!!
    hmmmm now im wondering should i keep with a brand im happy with, swift say a new one in guide fusion/or go with that cool looking paw print and get a sweet new one in blackgold???? im tellin yall there are just way too many brands and models out there to choose from:confused:
    thanks again pk
    OBA

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare