What’s Your Best Canoe Find?

Home Forums About Canoes What’s Your Best Canoe Find?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    houlibar
    Participant

Who has rescued a great old canoe from a dusty barn, bleaching in the sun boat dock or convinced someone to part with a long forgotten canoe relegated to yard decoration?

OneBadApple
    Participant

I’m still look’n for a deal….like this one cat jimmy crack corn up in the sturgeon river area the dude got a guide 147 like new for 75bucks green too!!!! think i heard the most $$$ boat in his fleet is a ramx he even got a homemade solo type canoe with a bucket slider seat for NUTHIN ….!!!!!well thats one cat who has done well just thought i’d tell yah bout jimmy crack’s luck
    OBA

Sweeper
    Participant

I did not bait houlibar into posting this thread But… Let me tell you about my dump.

So FAR (for boats) I’ve pulled two canoes and 2 John Boats out. The canoes are both 16’ers. One has a fiberglass patch job that looks like SWMBO might have put on. The other one just needs new thwarts and seats.
    The 9′ John was missing a rib. I just fill the holes. The 12’er was hit by a snow plow and has a couple of dents in it and the stern Plywood needs to be replaced.

I know 4 boats that pretty good but not Great.

How about the old 3hp Sears Motor the small(?)hp electric trolling motor and a 1/2 paddles.

50 plus fishing poles (most given away) Fly to Saltwater.

5 full Tackle boxes, 1 filled with old Bass Plugs.

2-300 Back Pack, Most given to the Boy Scout and Church Groups.

Paddles, Camping gear: Sleeping Bags, Tents, Stoves…

I ‘ALMOST’ had an ‘OLD’ Old Town. It was a Closed Gunwales type the thing is most likely 100+ yrs old. I bearly knew the woman, I had made a canoe pole for her and I was supposed to hang on to it while this she moved from NH to ARK w/an option to buy for $750. When I went to pick it up the women had some room in her truck, and being the nice guy I am, showed how to load it and told her if she ran out of room leave one of the damn Kayaks. You don’t leave a canoe like this and move a 1000 miles away and hope to see it again.

Dan Miller
    Participant

I’ve rescued a number of canoes over the years, but this one is perhaps my most exciting find…

bowquarter.jpg

More photos, for the curious, can be seen here:
    http://sailingcanoes.dragonflycanoe.com/sailing_canoe/index.html

Cheers,
    Dan

Preacher
    Participant

I have one in need of resq, if anyone is in the market for a winter job. Cedar canvas action, gunwale damage.

houlibar
    Participant

Here I am wishing I could find a great fiberglass canoe that needs a good home. You guys raised my expectations! 😮

Seriously though. You guys have made some great finds. That sailing canoe is a marvelous piece of engineering. The telecsoping brass centerboard is really cool. 😎 Sweeper, I remember the good ‘ol days of salvaging at the dump too! 😉

Preacher
    Participant

Not one I had anything to do with, but here’s a sailing canoe we saw in a community museum.
    848260566_06cf6801ea.jpg

woodenkayakguy
    Participant

Ok its not wood but this was on its way to the dump
    boyscanoe001.jpg
    $150 and a weekends work and the boys have a new canoe
    finishedboyscanoe.jpg

canuckcamper
    Participant

WKG…..
    nice work!!!!!!!!!!
    You’d never guess it was the same boat!

Dan…..
    Great find on the sailing canoe…look forward to seeing some pics AFTER you have restored it a bit!

Kirk

Preacher
    Participant

WeNoNahThing – heehee!

shizzy
    Participant

here is mine. Free from a friend, it was broken, bent and had many holes in it.

before

IMG_0431.jpg

and after

IMG_0973.jpg

and here is why

IMG_0976.jpg

Ned B
    Participant

well this sure fits your description.
    This is my grandfather’s canoe, which he had stored at a cabin we used to rent. I rescued it this week and brought it home. Couldn’t find any foam blocks, so I improvised with some shelf liner and duct tape. Still scraped up the roof of my truck shell, but that’s a small prices to pay.
    I learned to paddle in this old gal, she’s a 60’s or early 70’s vintage 17′ Grumman.
    snewcanoe.jpg

rode home just fine with just the two ratchet straps holding her down.

I just found out I live about an hour from the plant where it was made, think I might contact them and see if they’ll repaint her for me.

Sweeper
    Participant

I found this boat in the dump a year ago. It had been poorly patched. Here it is with the old patches cut off, and starting to sand the bad paint job off.
    P3300060.jpg

The other side

P3300062.jpg

I needed a large solo canoe for this year Allagash trip, so I patched it inside and out, added inserts for painter lines, removed the front seat and added a thwart there, removed the rear seat, made a new one from ash and installed it a bit more towards the center.

P6150065.jpg

Here’s a pic of the finished canoe loaded with the spray cover.

P6150063.jpg

Anonymous

I got a free 15 ft fiberglass canoe, It was worn almost through the bottom and had had many previous (sloppy) repairs. It was in someones barn when he moved there and he didn’t want it. I am a 1st time canoe-er so I ended up giving it to a neighbor who wanted to fix it (and knew how) I bought a Ram X plastic beginner canoe instead (Pelican) for $200 (with two nice wood oars thrown in) I know they aren’t as fancy but I am really excited about it. It’s a 3 seater 17.5 ft. A little old man used it twice to fish in his farm pond. It looks brand new, heavy though!

cano008.jpg
    Free canoe

004-6.jpg
    The Pelican

(did those pictures work?)

Newanderthal
    Participant

WKG, that is some serious improvement. glad to see the boat didn’t get trashed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare