Tumpline Packs?

Home Forums Gear for the trip Tumpline Packs?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Charlie
    Participant

I’m not saying my faded Duluth Pack needs replacement yet — I just had the flap mended where the squirrels chewed through it a few years back — but I’d like to hear if there’s a more “modern” canoe pack out there that still sports a tumpline?

Micmac
    Participant

I think you would like the packs designed and manufactured by Frost River

Canadienne
    Participant

I know Ostrom makes a Cordura nylon pack called the ‘Algonquin Canoe Pack’ with a removable tumpline. They are spendy though.
    http://www.ostrompacks.com/canoef.htm

Also if you ever use the 60L blue barrels; Headstrong make s a harness that uses a tumpline (I own one and love it).
    http://www.headstrongpacks.com/#

kcanoe
    Keymaster

For the newbie here, what is a tumpline? I looked at the links Canadienne posted (thanks!) but I don’t see a picture of one being used, and I can’t identify the tumpline on those pack images — is there a simple definition or a good link out there?

thanks!

Canadienne
    Participant

Below are a couple of links that better illustrate a tumpline. It is basically an additional strap that attaches to the pack and is placed around the top of your head. This will distribute the weight between your neck, shoulders and hips making it easier to carry heavier loads.

Tumpline

Photo

kcanoe
    Keymaster

thanks Canadienne! that wikipedia — what doesn’t it cover?
    – kcanoe

Charlie
    Participant

Since this thread got started with my old Duluth Pack, I thought folks might be intereted in this recent Duluth News-Tribune story about the Duluth Pack company.

They seem to be going stronger than ever.

dtumbleson
    Participant

Being a serious wilderness paddler and paddling trips up to 73 miles I have had experience with both traditional and modern packs. I have the Frost River Lewis and Clark Canvas Pack complete with Tumpline and waist belt and I have both the Quetico and the Superior One Pack by Granite Gear. After many river trips and one solo and one tandem trip trhough the 72 Bowron Lakes Circuit in BC I have decided that the traditional canvas pack is the least useful.
    The Frost River pack is harder to pack and the axe pocket is too small to be of use. When this pack is gets wet it stays wet and it doesn’t hold near as much as the Granite Gear packs because it does not have the expandible drawstring enclourse at the top. On a long trip with rain it is a pain. The other 2 packs repel water and do not get heavier in rain. They just make more sense and they are made very well with lots of room and handy places to attach extra gear if needed. Both of the Granite Gear axe pockets will hold a full size axe very securely. These packs are great.

pknoerr
    Participant

It’s interesting to get into this discussion and hear others thoughts. I agree with Daryl. Laura and I have three of the modern packs, a GG Quetico, an Algonquin Outfitters Pack, and a classic, the Grade VI. I have historically used two standard PVC coated roll top dry bags inside. I recently splurged for an Ostrum pack liner. The combination works well for me. I have a tumpline on the AO pack, but I never use it. The pack rarely has more than 60# and is very comfortable without the tumpline.

I haven’t used a traditional pack in the last 10 years. They have their ardent proponents, but since what I have has worked well on numerous 1-2 week trips on a variety of trips, I don’t see the need to modify. But it’s still interesting to read others thoughts on the issue.

PK

Canadienne
    Participant

@pknoerr 122 wrote:

It’s interesting to get into this discussion and hear others thoughts. I agree with Daryl. Laura and I have three of the modern packs, a GG Quetico, an Algonquin Outfitters Pack, and a classic, the Grade VI.

PK

Do you know if you can still buy the Grade VI packs? I have a very old one, but it is the most comfortable and durable pack I use and would love to get another one.

pknoerr
    Participant

As I understand it… Grade VI was part of Charlie Wilson’s business attempt (called Avant) prior to jumping in with Ted Bell at Bell Canoe Works (Infact, My Grade VI says Avant on it). The Grade VI stuff was sold to Superior Pack. But the stuff I’ve seen from Superior is not up to the quality of the original Grade VI stuff (or in my mind the stuff from Ostrum and Granite Gear.

These days, the Ostrum stuff has the best craftsmanship, but man it’s way pricey stuff. We only have the pack liners. Granite Gear builds a very nice line of packs as well. Laura has a Quetico short torso, and it’s done well on the last three years of tripping. For me, my old Algonquin Outfitters Pack fits as well as anything, and has held together for almost 10 years of canoe tripping now. But on my most recent Canadian trip, I used the Grade VI because it’s bigger, though doesn’t fit as well, to do 12.5 miles of portaging on a 100 mile canoe trip.

PK

SWIFT
    Participant

“Always bring”??

I do the finger count, standing outside my truck, before leaving the driveway.

I have…tent…poles for tent…sleeping bag…food…stove to cook food…fuel to use stove…boat…paddle to move the boat..pfd to be safe in that boat…I’ll survive

There are more “things I always bring” but I could live with out them, as long as I got the basics.

Oh yeah and BEER!

SWIFT
    Participant

I just realized that I put this post in the wrong thread! How weird is that???

Sorry, this was for the “Gear you always bring”

kayamedic
    Participant

Dan Cooke: cookecustomsewing.com makes wonderful packs that have attatchment points for a tumpline.

I like the option of either using the tumpline or waistbelt and for that reason really like the pack as well as the Ostrom Barrel Harness…its got all the options.

Tumps are wonderful for going uphill…and belts for going downhill or jumping side to side from hummock to hummock.

OneBadApple
    Participant

boy i thank yall for this post and glad i read it before buying a dual purpose pack for myself yup one that will go into the cedar swamps with me on a deer hunt and future canoe trips…i’ve just flat out had it with using the old army duffle with pack straps to flimsy and gets too wet….sure had it in my mind to get one of them sweet looking oiled canvas ones but now i just looked at cookes website and the #4 seems like it would work well in green or brown
    thanks for the info yall
    oba

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare