Seat Placement

Home Forums About Canoes Seat Placement

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    DeputyMike
    Participant

I recently purchased a used 16′ Mad River Freedom PROJECT canoe. Someone had begun the project and butchered it. Looked like they had bought some cheap pine 1×2’s from Home Depot for the gunwales! I am rebuilding the canoe with Ash gunwales, new Ash seats, etc. My problem is this: I don’t know where to put the seats! There were no markings from where the original 2 seats were when I took the 1×2’s off. How far from the tip of the bow should the front of the bow seat be? How far from the tip of the bow should the stern seat be? On top of that question, I also purchased a yolk/center seat combo to add seating to the canoe. Will 3 seats work in a 16′ canoe? The third seat will rarely (if ever) be used. If I do install it, should I mount it higher on the sides than the other two seats since it is replacing a yoke/thwart? Thanks a lot for any help y’all can give me!

Micmac
    Participant

Mike, my suggestion is to locate a local dealer to see if they have an identical Mad River canoe that you can measure for the seat placement distance and height for each seat. I’d also take along a digital camera for reference when you get back to your shop.

Stability on the water- I’d be leery of adding the third seat. But if you d, don’t mount it high where a yoke would be placed because the canoe will be even more unstable.

Consider using a Crazy-creek seat on the floor of the canoe for the duffer (third person).

You might also check the Mad River web site to see if the canoe is still in stock. Their info @ email may answer your questions. But the surest way is to do it yourself if you have access to another Freedom.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare