please help with kipawa??

Home Forums About Canoes please help with kipawa??

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    OneBadApple
    Participant

ok i really need help with tracking…this is a modern touring canoe class boat so why am i having so much trouble keeping it going straight on flatwater,the boat handles like a dream on faster current rivers corners like a mazzeratti but ive noticed on the huron river with lisa in front chillin no paddling i can only give 2-3 good strokes per side 2 mostly and im zigzagin all the way down and there are times like when i gotta get lisa home to cook my meal so i want straight out power no time for jstrokin to keep er straight, now we cruise with her front seat 3″ from all the way back (its a slider) so we could move her forward if’n yall think that would help me???im baffled its acting like a river touring with more rocker would act, any tips….
    oba
    ps im gonna get a straight paddle cuz i read somewere on here i aint supposed to kneel and use my bent shaft!?!?!
    and i tried lisas arrow bb and that was same results so please any advice

houlibar
    Participant

I think your on to something, moving bow seat forward. The specs for your canoe show it has 2.5″ of rocker in front and 1″ in the rear. So I’m guessing if you can get more of the front wet you might track better.

Kipawa

scoutergriz
    Participant

I have a Kipawa too, and I find the trim is very important.
    moving the bow seat forward and/or shifting packs forward to lower the bow will definately improve tracking. Use which ever paddle works for you, I prefer a straight shaft but most of my partners use bents.

pknoerr
    Participant

OBA,

First you probably paddle harder than Lisa does, so the canoe turns away from the side you paddle on. You will either need to have her paddle harder, or more likely you paddle less hard. From the stern of the canoe you are well back from the point where the canoe rotates on a turn (generally just near the middle of the canoe), and any imabalance in your strokes will make the canoe veer.

My guess is that you’ve got something in your forward stroke that might benefit from a little work…. we all do:D. You can always use a little work on getting that paddle perfectly vertical, and that your stroke doesn’t follow the rail of the canoe, but rather runs erfectly parallel to the keelline of the boat (In the stern that means that the rear portion of the stroke is slightly further away from the stern than at the beginning of the stroke.

Personally, I spent the better part of an hour on Saturday night working on my forward stroke technique over in your neck of the woods on Crooked Lake in the Pinckney Rec Area, just to clean up a few needs. One nearly always benefits from work on the forward stroke. It’s actually one of the most difficult strokes to do efficiently.

PK

OneBadApple
    Participant

now this is what this board is all about you people just gave me some fine tips to try… and make my paddling life much more enjoyable let alone my sanity thinking yall had me on block that nut case so thanks much on the trim tips and pk you canoe master i think you nailed my stroke cuz once i read your post… why bygolly im sure im getting lazy and following the rail which would be heading back (stroke) near 45 degrees ,which would turn that kip each stroke i take….so i will work on that!!!!!
    as far as getting lisa to paddle harder:D im sure charlie would not want me to even go there hehe but even i know them kids hear worse on the bus….lol
    thumbs up on the tips!!!!
    oba
    ps was crooked lake a nice paddle???? sat we were on our close to home section of the huron (dawson road) milford area we always paddle upriver past general motors road (camp dearborn area)milford mill pond dam then paddle back down to truck….cant wait for fall colors!!!

pknoerr
    Participant

OBA,

Crooked Lake is very nice, though small for a whole day of paddling. But there are several bays to paddle into, and chains to a small wetland that feeds the control weir, and into Pickeral Lake, and the small attached lake to the east. Overall, it’s a beautiful place to enjoy the almost current full moon.

Head out in the evening with your lady friend, and paddle around the lake through dusk while the Sand Hill Cranes are setteling in for a night. Then enjoy another lap beneath the full moon. I can’t be responsible for the romance that might occur.

PK

OneBadApple
    Participant

:cool:now theres an idea!!!!!
    goin behond the initial/secondary stability of our kipawa!!!!!
    your so smooth pk

OneBadApple
    Participant

well we went out last night to kent lake moved her seat forward had the kip leveled out much better, made sure to keep a check on vertical paddle/and straight back strokes and it all helped our boat tracked much better!!!!
    found 6 bobbers and 1 rapala type lure too!!!!
    thanks for the help fellow canoeing.com members
    oba

scoutergriz
    Participant

Glad we can help. The kip is a really fine boat, just a little tender. what I find helps is to ask someone how the boat is trimmed for your normal load in the water. Mark the slider with a sharpie to give you a starting point, then adjust according to your load. by the time you get used to trimming it, the sharpie will wear off and no-one’s the wiser.;)

OneBadApple
    Participant

😎 excellent idea SG matter of fact i’ve already marked it all the way back: poppa wheelie!!! and all the way forward: shallow hal… hehe yupthe little woman just gave me the “goat stare” (not a good thing) when she read that…:D its a good thing she loves me eh!?!?
    oba

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare