Opinions on Placid’s Wildfire wanted

Home Forums About Canoes Opinions on Placid’s Wildfire wanted

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Brammy
    Participant

I am just doing some research and have remained intrigued with Yost designed boats. Therefore, as a light wilderness tripper for a 6’4″ 220 pound man are there any opinions out there on the this boat?

Thanks,

Brammy (Bob B.)

kayamedic
    Participant

Its going to be a bit of a pig if you load it.. Charlie is paddling one on the website..he is 5’8″ and 140 lbs.

Its a great boat for a guy your size for FreeStyle…but put another 70 bs in it and its going to wallow..It will have adequate freeboard but will be sluggish..

You might want to think 15 feet or so. Swift Shearwater is specifically for the big guy on a wilderness trip…and can handle a month of food.

I have access to three Wildfires and yes know the boat well.

ckimmerle
    Participant

Kim knows her boats, and what she says is correct. I’m 5’10 (and 1/2!)” @ 190 and find the boat paddles like a dream when packed for only a day trip, but is pretty sluggish when out for 5 or more days. You’ll be much happier with something larger.

Chuck

OneBadApple
    Participant

๐Ÿ˜€ it sure is pretty (finish) not big on the wildfire name of the boat kinda make yah wanna whip the hose out….JMO

kayamedic
    Participant

You can call it anything you want..but the name was developed as part of a series of boats when DY designed them for Bell..the FlashFire, WildFire and StarFire.

CEW had the license for the name and when he left Bell within a few years the agreement was that he would have the use of the molds exclusively. In the meantime DY also designed the SpitFire and RapidFire.

Just watch out you dont paddle UnderFire.

OneBadApple
    Participant

whoa….underfire or underattack lol yepper i knew the fire history lesson…thats why I put JMO:rolleyes:
    i did say it was pertty:cool:
    oba

kayamedic
    Participant

I havent got the faintest idea of what most abbreviations mean..dont have a Blackberry or use text messaging on the phone. If I got a text message it would have to hit me in the nose…my husband had one for months and he just thought his phone was being cute. He ignored it.

I am not techno savvy…:eek:

OneBadApple
    Participant

๐Ÿ˜‰ lets paddle on then, with peace… i come from a ruff messageboard background and was just puttin my “dukes up”so to say from what i took as a lil arse chewin when yah said “just watch out you…”
    really i like the wildfire canoe me idah just named it something like “slim shady” just today i figured out holy cow is really a canoe co. so me too on somethings to do with savvy:eek:
    oba

OneBadApple
    Participant

80 members and not many opinions for brammy common yall howabout that wildfire solo yall gotta know some more i was just GMO and bringing it TTT o help out me i’d probably get the yellowstone solo but my UNIT..(littlewoman) likes me to sho- fur her around…
    OBA

OneBadApple
    Participant

80 members and not many opinions for brammy common yall howabout that wildfire solo yall gotta know some more i was just GMO and bringing it TTT to help out, me i’d probably get the yellowstone solo but my UNIT..(littlewoman) likes me to sho- fur her around…
    OBA

OneBadApple
    Participant

๐Ÿ˜ฎ friggin webtv

Dan Miller
    Participant

I’ve got a glass Wildfire, good canoe. But, I’ve not used it for tripping, so my comments wouldn’t help Bob… Now, if he’d asked about its qualities as a canoe in which to play Dead Fish Polo, I could recommend it without reserve. ๐Ÿ˜€

I also haven’t paddled the Wildfire in years, since I got my Minetta.

Cheers,
    Dan

kayamedic
    Participant

@Dan Miller 393 wrote:

I’ve got a glass Wildfire, good canoe. But, I’ve not used it for tripping, so my comments wouldn’t help Bob… Now, if he’d asked about its qualities as a canoe in which to play Dead Fish Polo, I could recommend it without reserve. ๐Ÿ˜€

I also haven’t paddled the Wildfire in years, since I got my Minetta.

Cheers,
    Dan

Correct me if I am wrong but you have two sons right? And one of them is wicked good at paddling a swamped canoe…since you arent using it..:o

My senior moments are kicking in..was it Caleb and Ethan?

Dan Miller
    Participant

Yep, that would be Caleb – good thing you made him learn a couple things before letting him swamp it. He’d been ready to go straight for that since the year before’s lesson…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare