Newbee saying Hello & this could be a Awsome Site

Home Forums Advanced Paddlers Newbee saying Hello & this could be a Awsome Site

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bushman
    Participant

First off I would like to thank the people for starting this site & forum.

Hello to everyone! I will be known as Bushman (aka Randy) Have been paddling canoes for the last 6 years here in Northern Lower Michigan, The Strugeon river (Fastest river with 14′ of fall per mile in lower Michigan) is our game. I/we have 3 Old Town canoes, First was a 14.7′ Guide from Dunham’s Sporting goods for $450.00 & it has been in my opinion a great tight river boat after some mods. Started by taking the seats out & going with a solo weave seat with removable backrest, Added foam padding to the yolk for a backrest & some hooks on the sides for strapping a cushion pad for a seat that either my wife or daughter use. Watched the people in rental canoes aka Divorce Boats struggle with the mighty Sturgeon for years & they freak out when our group of 4-14 boats (depending on the day) go by having fun. Somehow getting the person out of the front seat & letting the captan do his or her job just works wonderfully & also frees up room for the portable table-grill-coolers & folding chairs that always seem to make the trip in my boat. Somthing about a having a table & grill setup on a sandbar grilling River Steak & watching the kids have a ball playing in the water or tormenting the rental canoes-tube & rafters with the wonderful smell of tender finger steaks being passed out to those who ask.

Second boat was a Old Town 16.9 Guide also in green (Yup it heavy) But with a keel makes for a good slack water boat or a loaner for those friends in need of a Great day on the river.

Third boat was also a Old Town but this time a solo Pack also in green that my wife claimed, This thing rocks on the tight rivers & works well on the slack water with the mini keel as long as we dont use too much paddle, My home made cedar bent shaft has too much power as well as my Bending Branches (Spare Paddle) Sun Shaddow. The old Beaver Tail picked up @ a garage sale that I refinished it the ticket for the pack.

Three years ago I wanted a bent shaft paddle after a gal on the Stugeon let me use her Carbon Race paddle, Some say a B/S paddle is not a good choice for a swift river & I cannot disagree more. I made my B/S out of one of the cedar tree’s I cut down one winter to feed the winter stressed deer on my property in Indian River. Using nothing more than a chainsaw-Belt sander & wood chissle I got busy with a idea & 8 hours later was paddling with my new 58″ home made cedar Bent Shaft for paddle palooza. Paddle Palooza is the name of our group of friend that paddle on the weekend & wednesday night canoe leauge. Canoe Leauge? Why not? There are all types of leauges & our canoe leauge is a riot for getting rid of the work related stress & a mid-week evening on the river.

We have 30-40 trips on the sturgeon this year with a trip down the Betsy & was in Mio last weekend, Have paddled the Jordan in the past & plan on doing the Pigeon soon again.

Look for our logo of skull & cross paddles or the smell of BBQ on the river & say Hi. It’s all good! Good people, Good Friends & Good Times!

Sorry so long but for a first post you now know somthing about Bushman the paddling Freak.:p

OneBadApple
    Participant

hello bro!!!!:D
    now that we have the kipawa i’m gonna really miss that “tank” (green OT guide 16) im so used to paddlin while on the sturgeon!!!!thank you for so many good times… ah yes its so fun when we see couples cussin each other before the next bend (so we all) stand up and italy stoke on by , wish’m luck on the river with a grin:eek: dang cant wait to get up there…if for anything your tasty river bites..
    cya soon
    OBA
    aka scott
    aka paddles with whining black labrador!!!!

Bushman
    Participant

@OneBadApple 204 wrote:

hello bro!!!!

aka paddles with whining black labrador!!!!

LMAO, Love the standup paddling while people are bailing out there boats:D Been told so many times that I cant do that on the Sturgeon I had to paddle from Rondo Rd. to the landing just south of Indian River standing to prove it could be done.:D

Now if I could stand from Scott Rd. bridge to the landing I would be as good as Timmy:rolleyes: Im thinking thats like close to 20 miles or better. I am sure it would not be a problem if I did not work so hard;)

OneBadApple
    Participant

keep callin it the “italy stroke”….someday when we are world renown paddlers bro we’ll be able to have our first chapter on how it was born and mastered by these two yahoo’s on the sturgeon just tryin to keep it cool!!!!:D

Bushman
    Participant

OBA Doing some work for a guy next door here in Boyne City on one of his old wood boats trailers, He has A old Old Town wood & canvas conoe that he still uses on the Boyne river when the water is high, He has 3 Chestnut wood & canvas conoes. 2 Longer 17-18′ & a small 11′ solo Chestnut from the 1930’s that is just plain beautifull!!!!
    All the boats have very old paddles with them, I cant find any names on the paddles but they are all beavertails of sorts & some have tin & copper rock guards on them. They would just be a blast to paddle again someday. He says I can use one when the water is high……… But I was looking on the web @ the values of these boats & honestly there is no way I could risk damaging one 🙁

Does anyone know of any good vintage paddling reading? The last Paddler Magazine had a great artical from when they blasted open the rivers out west way back when. Those men had gutts & lots of them! Kind of too bad the world has gone the way it has so we need to make the best of what we got.

Everyone have a Great Long paddling weekend & be safe! Bushman

houlibar
    Participant

Good to meet you Bushman! I enjoyed reading your first post!

I have a Guide 147 too, that we also got at a Dunhams’ in Marquette. Thanks for the ideas on the seat modifications. Wifey loves the front seat, so I don’t think that will change. It does look comfortable because being at the bow, it’s tipped back in a comfortable position. The rear seat is just the opposite, tipped forward so my butt wants to slide off of it and I have to fidget too much to stay in the seat. I then removed the seat back which helped some because it conspired to push me off as well.

Also the manufacturer missed when they drilled through the gunwale and the seat to secure the bolt. They missed the seat flange and drilled through the very edge. So the bolt pulls out and the seat drops an inch or so. Did I mention I have to fidget to stay seated? :p I made a quicky repair by using some larger washers behind the nut. But on the last day we paddled, it pulled out again. So now you really have my attention… where can I get a woven seat to replace the back seat with? A middle seat would be cool too. To keep the center passengers rear off the wet deck and prevent them from sitting on the carry yoke.

OBTW, I tipped over the Guide twice the first day I got it. :rolleyes: Seems it prefers to be stroked gently. Get crossways to the wind and give it a hard stroke and you instantly become a swimmer! I didn’t understand what happened the first time. I had to repeat it to learn my lesson! 😀

canuckcamper
    Participant

Welcome aboard Bushman….I used to drive a Guide 147 as well…loved that damned boat….had to sell it cause I only have room to store one boat….fortunately I sold it to my Bro-in-law so I still get to paddle it on occasion!

Kirk

tuvw374
    Participant

Emmanuel big wow gold expanse. the law in side buy wow gold of a place to the crust, what wow gold of the enthusiastic whiteness to a wow gold white raiment Chi Xu, were pronounceable wow accounts rotation ending, and.

Rosswood
    Participant

this is very nice post

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare