Lower Michigan River Routes?

Home Forums Destinations & Routes Lower Michigan River Routes?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Charlie
    Participant

I’m going to have some time to paddle in Lower Michigan soon. I’ll probably do either the Au Sable or the Manistee. I’d love to hear from someone about either of those two rivers … or suggestions of others I might want to consider.

It’s a solo trip … I’m interested in flat water … I don’t mind portaging.

— Charlie

OneBadApple
    Participant

just signed up here at canoeing.com charlie so im probably late with any info but this past weekend we just paddled the au sable from m33 in mio to comins flats 6 miles on saturday and then comins flats to mckinley bridge 9 miles on sunday not crowded at all flat good movin clean water beautyfull put in and take out areas… our group we have a couple small children that like to take breaks- play- whatever…So my thoughts bein the first time on that section of the au sable it was sweet great scenery only complant no spots to stop slam a beverage and let them kids burn some energy…
    Charlie since we got the canoe bug were pretty much paddling the huron river (milford area) in south east mi every weekend so if in the area give us a pm shout!!!!
    hope you got out in the river while in michigan???
    OBA

Charlie
    Participant

I got on the Au Sable in early-mid July. My experience — I paddled from Grayling to Loud Dam — mirrors yours. I enjoyed the river but found all the private property along the banks bothersome. My inner smart-aleck was saying it was a great river … right up to the banks.

(I did get a nice heads-up form a cottage-owner who yelled “Stay right!” as I took a blind bend with a big strainer in it.)

I considered the Huron for that July paddle — I was coming up from Ohio. I’d like to hear more about it from you. Have you ever been on the Raisin? Curious about that for the history, if nothing else.

If I had to do another Michigan river — I live in Minnesota — I’d do the Manistee … to feel as though I’d crossed the lower penninsula. Like like clear spring-fed water, too!

pknoerr
    Participant

@Charlie 114 wrote:

II considered the Huron for that July paddle — I was coming up from Ohio. I’d like to hear more about it from you. Have you ever been on the Raisin? Curious about that for the history, if nothing else.

Charlie,

I’ve paddled both the Raisin and the Huron. The Huron is a larger river than the Raisin. I’ve paddled almost the entire river (just missing a few miles from Flat Rock to Erie). The portion north and west of Ann Arbor is nice. It’s Metroparks with cottages in between. But you can do the entire river in 3 days if you paddle, but it’s tough finding camping spots from Ann Arbor down to Erie.

The Raisin is a nice river as well. We did a stretch from Norvell to Sharon Valley Road. There is an incredible number of liftovers in that stretch. Do it in a light empty boat in the summer. Many folks paddle from Sharon Valley Road to a second Sharron Valley Road crossing. It’s not very far, but the river has much less wood in the river.

In that same neck of the woods, I’ve paddled several stretches including much of the upper end of the Kalamazoo, and also the St. Joe, and Grand. They all make for interesting day paddles, and often you don’t see anyone on them.

PK

Jackcramer
    Participant

Charlie,
    I have spent a lot of time on the Big Manistee and highly recommend paddling any section. I can suggest a nice 42 mile trip. Start at the Old US 131 State Forest Campground and come down to the M-115 Bridge at Mesisk, MI. Many shore camping sites (over 20 in this section, yeah I counted, had to we, teach a class on this section) and two established state forest camps. One is listed as closed, the Indian Crossing, but it’s still usable. The other is at Baxter Bridge. Excellent trip. Contact me for more info if necessary. I recommend getting a copy of Canoeing Michigan River by Jerry Dennis and Craig Date.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare