Looking for some BWCAW route suggestions…

Home Forums Destinations & Routes Looking for some BWCAW route suggestions…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Canadienne
    Participant

I’m in the midst of planning for a Oct. 18 entry. There will be 5-6 of us and we are looking for a relatively short paddle into to some decent fishing areas.

My initial thoughts were a few destinations:
    -Moose River North into Agnes
    -Mudro into Horse or Fourtown
    -Snake River into Bald Eagle or Gabbro

This group has done fall trips the last three years and last year we were pretty much frozen and windblown all trip on the S. Kawishiwi.

Does anyone have suggestions for accessible fishing during that time of year and also what are some secrets to catching Walleye in the Fall? (don’t worry we practice C&R).

Dave-S
    Participant

I have a friend who swears by Brule lake. He stays right on the big lake on the North side I believe – he is a little evasive on his exact location…

He did tell me that he does best with leaches and fishing the drop-offs to deep water towards evening.

AlanG
    Participant

The last report I read on Moose River north was that the first little bit was very low with more walking than paddling.
    I have been to Agnes twice, both in August. October should be good for northern and lakers. Agnes has some nice weedbeds at the entrance from the south, and some nice weedbeds at the north end. There are some underwater humps in the northern section. You can see them very easily. Oyster Lake to the west has lakers, but it’s a long portage. Lac La Croix has lakers and the two portages are easier. Just watch out for the wind or you may have problems getting back to Agnes. Boulder River gets very little traffic and I saw a lot of reeds. However the portage from Agnes is longer and muddy on the Boulder River side. If I ever go that route again, I think I would have to hit that area for northern pike.
    The walleye on Agnes can be had with rattletraps and Blakemore spinner jigheads.
    Alan

Jerry R.
    Participant

Yep, the moose river is low, now, but watch the weather and if we get a reasonable amount of rain you’ll be good.

All the routes you suggested are good ones and October is a prime time to go.

Remember Lake Trout season closes at the end of Sept.

Bring a shotgun and eat a grouse.

About fishing for walleyes at that time, remember to use large baits.

J

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare