Latest Season Trip

Home Forums Advanced Paddlers Latest Season Trip

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Boneli
    Participant

What is the latest paddling season you have taken and where?

I have been enjoying BWCA and Quetico in October for past three years now and have had really enjoyable weather. Sometime big winds will affect our travel but a good paddling partner is always nice to have. What kind of distance do you paddle and how far in to the interior have you gone?

Barry

Canadienne
    Participant

The last three years I have taken trips in Mid-October into the BW. This year will be our latest as we are going from Oct. 18-21.

Last October we awoke to skim of ice on the S. Kawishiwi, so it was really cold all trip and we were windblown most of the trip. We generally only paddle of few lakes in just in case we need to exit quickly for one reason or the other.

Two years ago we went into Little Gabbro and entered at about 12:15 AM. We did this since the outfitter (who shall remain nameless) forgot to leave the bunkhouse unlocked for us. It turned out to be a wonderful journey in under a full moon and clear skies. We rolled into camp about 3:30 am and all stayed up for the sunrise. It was amazing.

You can view some pictures HERE.
    Hopefully this link works

Buck47
    Participant

Beautiful Pictures!!

My wife is bugging me about going into the BWCA early October.. You might of convinced me I should do it.

Thanks again!!

kcanoe
    Keymaster

those pics are stunning — and chilling, in a good way! thanks for sharing,

kcanoe

Charlie
    Participant

I was on the Isabella River (BWCA) in mid-late October last year. over teachers’ convention weekend. Went with a colelge buddy, his 14-year-old son, and my 12-year-old stepson.

We awoke to snow one day and skim ice on the slack areas of the river the next. A great time to trip, but a tricky one. I know I was keeping an eye on the banks for firewood and where we’d want to scramble to if we dumped a boat.

I like fall paddling — I’ve paddled as late as December 1 in the upper Midwest. I used to do a 7-10 day solo BWCA trip each September.

I’d love to learn some of those shoulder season skills that guys like Garrett Conover teach — pike pole and hook stuff.

Bring on fall!

Jackcramer
    Participant

We paddle year round on the Big Manistee River in northern lower Michigan. Unless is very cold for a few weeks straight, it stays open all year. I really enjoy winter paddling. Snow covered landscape, bright sunshine, misty river mornings with a cup-o-joe in the boat, paddling along.

Preacher
    Participant

Just a couple late season trips. November is the latest so far. Each year I try to start a month earlier and finish a month later. Ice-out to ice-up. That Nov trip was just a weekend with a couple buddies, not far at all. Luckily the crowds are gone so you don’t have to go as far, but you do have to clean up after the weekend warrior types.

SWIFT
    Participant

Do “overnighters” or weekends count as “trips”?

If so, I routinely paddle in the winter. I live near the Ottawa River and we’ve been know to paddle in right through January and even in February (depending on the winter). Though we typically only go for a weekend or so.

But if there’s no ice in APP, we’ve gone in as late as November, in fact did Kiosk last year in November. Nice crisp time to go. Air is fresh, can very calm, but also can be blustery, but we’re usually alone.

But I think Sept and October to be my favourite times to go. It’s quiet. Pretty. Crisp and soothing. What I really like is the usually over populated area’s like the “header lakes” (Kiosk, Opeongo etc) are emptied, so you can camp on the well used and often prime campsites that you otherwise couldn’t enjoy without the crowds.

Preacher
    Participant

Currently I’ll count overnighters and definitely weekenders. In a few years I hope to be more practiced, more elitist about the whole November – April season.
    😎

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare