Kruger Challenge 2007

Home Forums Destinations & Routes Kruger Challenge 2007

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jackcramer
    Participant

The Kruger Challenge 2007

The Kruger Challenge 2007 is scheduled for Saturday, October 27. The challenge is to complete 100 miles on the Big Manistee River within 24 hours. This river is located in northern lower Michigan. This is a rain or shine event. The section of the Big Manistee River selected for this event runs from the Manistee River Bridge State Forest Campground, (M-72 Bridge campground), down to the Veterans Memorial Park at Mesick, MI (M-115 Bridge). This is a self-supported trip. You are responsible for your own safety, shuttle, and assume all risks and responsibility. We will be camped Friday, October 26th at the starting point. The challenge begins at 6:00 AM sharp. This is a no cost event. The moon will appear full on the 26th, so if we’re fortunate to have light cloud cover on Saturday night, the night paddle will be even more pleasant. Contact Jack Cramer at jackcramer@yahoo.com or Mark Przedwojewski at mark@krugercanoes.com for more info.

Some handy details:

The starting point is located on M-72, just west of Grayling, MI.

This event is free. Pre-registration is required so we can arrange for parking at the finish. E-mail jackcramer@yahoo.com and let us know you’re going to paddle this event. All types of paddle craft are welcome. The river current at this time of year is slow to moderate and is considered easy. No rapids. No portage. It’s best if you have some night river paddling experience prior to entering this event. Bring a bright light.

Many camp spots are found along this stretch of river if you decide to make it an over night trip. 100 miles is a long way. Bring minimal camping gear. Expect to take a full 24 hours to complete this event. Bring plenty of ready to eat food and at least 2 gallons of water per person. Bring at least two changes of clothes, one set to change into if you tip in and one set of warmer items for the night paddle. Standard safety gear is advised: PFD, rain gear, safety whistle, fire starter kit, hypothermia kit, first aid kit, cell phone, river & road map, compass, walking shoes, and a great attitude.

You are responsible for your shuttle, safety, and all risk. To finish this event within 24 hours, you will paddle in the dark. A bright light is handy.

Camping at the Manistee River Bridge State Forest Campground will require a fee of $15/day. No reservations. Water is available. Pit toilets only. If you leave a vehicle there, you will have to pay the daily fee. No boat launch fee.

Parking at the finish, the Veterans Memorial Park on M-115 at Mesick, MI is prohibited except by permission of the Mesick, MI Lions Club. We will arrange for this permission. No fee will be charged for this parking. Security of your parked vehicles is your responsibility. No facilities are located at the finish. The town of Mesick, MI is one minute drive time from the finish.

OneBadApple
    Participant

for me and the fellas i know that paddle…i will most likely be hangin out in a treestand waitin for my dream 150 class buck to walk by and meat up!!! with my bad apple (hoyt protec xt 2000 with spiral cam and o’half) of a bow now add me intothe mix and yah git OneBadApple:D
    there i said it,I would love too try it jack but, 100 miles would probably kill this rookie…. much easyr’ to hang in a tree like a chimp then try and paddle like a champ!!!!!
    good luck and hope the challenge is good weather and lots of fun….
    oba
    ps if them mathews archers would only realize there a half cam short… they’d be bad too hehehe

kcanoe
    Keymaster

Thanks Jack for the heads up on that event! It looks like a beautiful trip. We have added it to the Canoe Calendar, please let us know if anything is in error.

kcanoe

Jackcramer
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words OBA. We’re hopin’ for some nice weather too. A few Floridians are on the roster and a cool late October may be on the Arctic side of things for them. I’ll post a recap after the event.

Jackcramer
    Participant

Thanks for placing our event on the calender. It looks correct. We’re getting a good response and it should be a well attended event.

Jackcramer
    Participant

The KC 2007 was a great test of skill and endurance. Have a look at the results.

http://www.krugercanoes.com/special_events.htm

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare