Gunfire in the BWCA

Home Forums Destinations & Routes Gunfire in the BWCA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Charlie
    Participant

I’ve been waiting to see if anyone else would post about the gunfire and camper harassment on Basswood Lake in the BWCA.

The most comprehensive story on the event that I’ve seen it here …

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/articles/index.cfm?id=48921&section=homepage

No charges yet, if you can believe it?

Preacher
    Participant

Wow, I can’t imagine what that would have been like. Come trip in Canada! Guns aren’t even allowed in most parks and those that do allow them still have the buffer of provincial and federal gun control limiting the base odds that someone will have one. Up here such an offence would/could involve the offenders losing their guns, the boat and the vehicle used to transport the boat.

SWIFT
    Participant

I got harassed a couple of years ago now, on Lady Evenlyn lake in Temagami Ontario Canada.

A trio of motorboaters came up onto our shore (where 2 of us canoed in) and said “get the “F” out we’re camping here”. At first we thought they got to be kidding. But they started unloading and setting up. We confronted them several times diplomatically to no avail. They were clearly intoxicated and high. Finally I sternly said “you can’t stay here”. Then they threatened me with an axe. After considering our options – to fight, continue to stand our ground – or sabotage their boat we finally decided to just leave.

To this day I have revenge fantasies about it…

People talk about the dangers of bears and other animals, I worry about the two legged kind.

Canadienne
    Participant

I have discussed this on other boards and I will simply say that this is disturbing to say the least. Hopefully this group gets the deserving punishment, whatever that may be.

OneBadApple
    Participant

IDIOTS plane and simple,always tryin to screw things up for the honest gun totin’ citizens…matter fact Swift i can feel why your having revenge fantasies…bet it would have been cool as hek to say… yah better get a bigger axe bucko!!!!(while pullin out the cold blue steel) but im sure glad yall ended up ok in the end… that could have gotten nasty even with your cooler head and just leaving..whoa
    OBA

canuckcamper
    Participant

@SWIFT 153 wrote:

s

People talk about the dangers of bears and other animals, I worry about the two legged kind.

Hey Swift…good to see ya here….as I have said many times on other forums…..the two leggers scare me a lot more than the four leggers! Two leggers have actually become the reason that I still insist on carrying a bear spray!

Kirk

Preacher
    Participant

Brutal stuff Swift. I’ve heard a few stories like these, but this is the first one involving gunfire.

Yeah, revenge fantasies. I can relate.

SWIFT
    Participant

For those Canadians among us here (or anyone familiar with Algonquin Provincial Park)…

Just recently I was in the park going from Kiosk to Mouse to Erables, Maples, 3 Mile, Biggar, North Tea, Manitou and back to Kiosk (whew!!) And we were in 3 mile when a float-bush plane landed with a little aluminum boat. As they unloaded we were thinking MNR staff doing an audit or clean up. (we scrambled to hide our beer cans – ha! kidding)

Boy were we wrong. 3 ya-hoos bombing around the lake screaming and partying all night, even riding their boat all night well up to 1 AM!! For those who don’t know this is no motor boat and plane access area.

No guns, no threats this time, but certainly inconsiderate jackasses!

SWIFT
    Participant

OneBadApple said

“yah better get a bigger axe bucko!!!!(while pullin out the cold blue steel”

Thanks for the laugh.

Hmm… can’t figure how to highlite the quote?

Charlie
    Participant

Anyone else bothered by the fact that there still haven’t been charges filed in the BWCA shoting incident?

Even the Ely Echo is getting impatient …

Preacher
    Participant

Are you kidding me? Well, I guess it’s their right.

Charlie
    Participant

I guess it pays to be patient…

Yesterday, 79 criminal charges were filed against the five persons allegedly involved in the BWCA “gunfire” incident.

The Duluth News-Tribune has a story on the filing of the charges HERE.

Preacher
    Participant

article not found

Charlie
    Participant

Let’s see if this link connects …

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/articles/index.cfm?id=50403

— Charlie

Dave-S
    Participant

It is in todays Star Trib.

Joe Soucheray talked about it for a while yesterday afternoon too on am 1500.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare