extra paddle??

Home Forums For Beginners extra paddle??

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Preacher
    Participant

I smell a paddle fetish.

canuckcamper
    Participant

@Preacher 370 wrote:

I smell a paddle fetish.

NOOO….thats just the smell of unscrubbed cheese!

kayamedic
    Participant

@Hillbilly 222 wrote:

One of the things the other Ontario members did not say was that in Ontario you are required to carry an extra paddle under the Safe Boating Act.
    Bill

nope it does not call for an extra paddle. Government isn’t that smart. Common sense tells us that we can drop one at a particularly bad moment so Bill’s advice is wise.

here is a link. Note that it requires A manual propelling device or anchor(egad think of that on a portage) but not an extra.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/BoatingSafety/pubs/pwc/menu.htm

OneBadApple
    Participant

clowns to the left of me… jokers to the right….

canuckcamper
    Participant

………..and here I am stuck in the middle with you!

OneBadApple
    Participant

😀 sing it CC….and oh black robe enjoy the aroma… it’ll get smoother once you get used to it!!!!
    hehehe
    oba

canuckcamper
    Participant

@OneBadApple 388 wrote:

😀 sing it CC….and oh black robe enjoy the aroma… it’ll get smoother once you get used to it!!!!
    hehehe
    oba

lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kirk!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave-S
    Participant

We always bring a spare adult sized paddle on our wilderness trips. Never on our local day trips. But the kids each have their own paddle so I suppose we have plenty to get by in a pinch.

kayamedic
    Participant

From OBA:just got our second warning for improper canoe storage from our community manager…this is gonna get good

What exactly is improper canoe storage? And what is a community manager? Is that the dictator that says you shall not dry your laundry outside?

OneBadApple
    Participant

😀 yes mam you just hit the nail on the head he be the dic-tater….
    i’ll explain…..improper canoe storage simple it is leaned upside down against our trailer:D shame him for calling a canoe trailer trash hehe well long story short it will stay were it is until he makes everybody else remove there items that are to be properly stored in sheds rv area (which is were the kipawa will be flipped ontop of our popup and covered for the winter)there are swingsets,slides sandboxes bicycles all types of yard clutter that aint supposed to be and dig this right on the front street is a blue kayak behind someones steps tell me dic can’t see that!!!!
    so until were done paddling for the year or he has the grapes to stop by personally and let me explain why were not obeyin his mailed notes it’ll be behind our steps leanin….
    oba

canuckcamper
    Participant

Anybody catch thatr Ray Mears show on OLN…”Bushcraft?”. He has an episode where he paddles the Missinaibi River in Northern Ontario and has himself a tiny mishap. There is no doubting Ray’s paddling skills or his bush skills but it was a real eyeopener as he had his paddle ripped from his hands. It was toooo fast to see exactly what happened, he was paddling some rapids making course sorrections and it looked as tho his paddle wedged a sunken log or rock…one second in his hands…next second gone! He had his spare ready and recovered the lost paddle in no time but it just goes to show how easy it can be to get yourself in a jam when you are out there! Great show by the way ….highly recommended viewing!

Kirk

pknoerr
    Participant

I didn’t see it, but I’ve experienced it. I’ve lost paddles (atleast until I could go back to get it), I’ve broken the blade and shaft of paddles, and I’ve even taken the paddle handle in the head from paddling in shallow circumstances or in whitewater. Things start to happen really quick as the water slowly gains momentum. Your paddle is just a little stick compared with the strength of the water. It’s delusional to think that your paddle won’t break if you subject it to tough conditions. It’s not a big deal if you are on a day trip and loose or break a paddle… you can liesurely float to your takeout. But the odds get much more aganst you when your distance gets to be 50, 100, or 200 miles from the nearest road… and that’s where duplication or even triplication starts to matter.

PK

woodenkayakguy
    Participant

I always carry a spare. Did bowron lakes this summer,2 boats 5 people,= 4lake paddles there was some moving water so 2 whitewater paddles and lastly 2 kayak paddles, these work great in an open boat for a change in muscles or on windy days

VoyageurNorth
    Participant

We take out an extra paddle once in a while. Most of our customers (about 70%) take an extra one on trips. And we usually suggest a “beater” paddle which is great for using as a fillet board so your knife doesn’t get so dull, also cleans up easier than a flat rock. 🙂

Newanderthal
    Participant

For day trips, get a telescoping paddle from your local Wal-Mart. They are a bit short even when fully extended, but will get you back to shore if your paddle breaks.

For longer trips, get a cheap full sized paddle.

With any luck you won’t ever use them.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare