Advice

Home Forums About Canoes Advice

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    westfi1
    Participant

I am a new member and this is my first post. I bought a used Wenonah Encounter which came with no seats, only knee pads glued to the hull. I know it is a solo hull, but is it possible to use it as a tandem ? This would be strictly flat-water recreational paddling. I weigh 140 and my wife weighs 160. If this is practical, where would I get seats, what kind, installation positions, etc. I have no clue where to begin. Is this something I could do myself ? Thanks so much in advance for responding.

kirbyscanoe
    Participant

I suggest you contact Wenonah Canoe at Wenonah.com or give them a call. They care about the boats they make and will give you straight information.

pknoerr
    Participant

Westfi1, I’ve been in canoeing alot of years… and I’m a big fan of small tandem light canoes. But I’d never thought of outfitting an Encounter as a solo. I like the idea for a fast, fast daytripper for two light paddlers.

Then, I saw a posting back about two months ago on http://www.myccr.com with a picture of a Wenonah Encounter outfit as a tandem. I thought if I ever found a cheap Encounter it might make a neat project. Anyways, here is a link… The posting and link are on page 2. You might PM the author and see what he thinks about seat locations and performance. With that sharp a bow and stern, you probably will need a little custom placement though.

http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/viewtopic.php?t=28180

Tell us how it goes.

PK

dapaddlers
    Participant

If you can get 2 people in the boat and still have 6″ of freeboard go for it. I’ve always thought kneeling is a superior position for paddling any canoe and remove the seats.
    Take a look at any tandem boat and figure the seat distance from the center of your canoe, buy some seats, cut ’em to size, drill some holes and mount ’em. Hang them about 4″ below the gunwales.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare