2 blade ? for SWIFT

Home Forums Advanced Paddlers 2 blade ? for SWIFT

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    OneBadApple
    Participant

well i kinda humped onto pakes two blade post which i thought would be cool hint hint its on page 2, im just tryin to figure out which size to get to save alittle on getting wet and it seems like lower angle longer would work while making my job of going upriver at times and lettin the little woman just chill…ain’t worried about settin speed records just looking for ease of pushin momma around well purchase recomondations too for a 2 blade to try i.e. …that bending branches impression solo 2 blader that comes in at either 250cm or 280cm…any thoughts???
    thanxs
    oba

OneBadApple
    Participant

😀 i dont want your camping spot im just axe’in you a question….think a 260cm or 280cm double blade would work well@ 6″2″ outta a kipawa from stern seat with mamma and third seat solo????
    well maybe yaint seen this yet??? lord i hope ive not been blocked:eek:
    thanx
    oba

houlibar
    Participant

Double blade, do you mean like a kayak paddle? I don’t know anything about how to select one. But would be interested to know too. Just wanted to give your post a reply. OBTW, you’re welcome at my camp any time. 😉

OneBadApple
    Participant

yup holibar I seen it on the bending branches website i think it was in the “performance canoe straight shaft paddles” section its called the impression solo canoe looks just like a kayak 2 blade to me but its measurments are a tad longer…now im figuring longer =lower angle less wetness!?!? also im sure there would be a pain in to much length so really im trying to get some advice before buying… ps thanks for keeping the faith houlibar 😎
    oba

SWIFT
    Participant

Oops, sorry onebadapple, I just hadn’t checked in a while as I have been kinda busy getting stuff around the house ready for winter (some landscaping, built a new shed etc etc..). And this site doesn’t have (or I can’t find out how) to list “newest posts” page to easily keep up to date as to the new posts.

As for paddle length I think it would highly depend on your boat beam at the position you choice to paddle it. As I have said, I use an adjustable length of 225-245cm carbon fibre blade. I paddle a Swift Dumoine in kevlar which has a middle beam of 36cm but I paddle in the stern so it’s significantly narrower, and thus don’t need the longer paddle (in terms of hitting the sides).

As for getting wet… I don’t think paddle length will make much of a difference. In theory, yes, but on the water sometimes you gotta really go for that deep straight down stroke which is gonna bring on the water no matter the length. But you’re right, if it’s longer… then in general low-brace-like-skimming-the-surface-strokes would keep you drier.

In conclusion here, I really don’t think “getting wet” is a real issue. I paddle with the double blade in all weather conditions including winter where staying dry is crucial, and I can’t say it’s ever been a concern. I mean I (anyone who choices to paddle in the winter) would have warm water resistant clothing on anyway, right? And we are only talking about a little bit of light splashing on the pant legs anyway. Gaters really help here.

Looks like you are asking because you wanna buy a paddle? Hopefully the advice you were seeking isn’t too late? Sorry again about the delayed response. And good luck on the purchase, and enjoy.

SWIFT
    Participant

oh “YES” I think from a Kipawa’s stern a 260 is too long.

But try it out, and see, I am sure you could return it IF you’re not happy with it. But who knows, maybe you’ll like it?

I added an edit here…

In your other post, you said you are 6-2, given that height maybe 260cm wouldn’t be too bad for you at all?

Take them out for a spin, try ’em out and see.

OneBadApple
    Participant

thank you swift, it sounds like something i’d like to at least try,i aint skeered of getting wet either matter of fact i think alot of paddlers out there just like to have something to complain about as i’ve read alot about 2blade paddles and getting wet….and some of them canoe reviews are unbelievable!!!! i had to laugh at the one dude last name green said a kipawa would make a better garden planter (something like that) heck mine i love it overall lots better than a rental around here…and if i’d bought it new it would have a cool color (too me) in the future were gonna need to get 1 more canoe for lisas girls/our friends to use (just cuz thats how i am) and i’d be interested in knowing more about a swift kevlar dumoine i’d like a royalex/royalite/but 74# and 68# is way to heavy
    well thanxs again for getting back on here…
    oba

kayamedic
    Participant

I want to see that 36 cm Dumoine..you really should keep it out of the high heat cycle in the dryer.

Wetness from a double blade sometimes comes from too high a paddle angle. The db stroke is low and short, short short, not going in back of the hip.

I paddle a solo boat..either a Heron or Merlin II usually and the length of the blade and shaft together for the Bending Branches paddle is 240 cm.. I think that 280 is going to tend to give you a very sweepy stroke making you yaw unless you finesse the stroke down to a power phase of less than a foot or so.

OneBadApple
    Participant

whoa!!! dude….aint cool when they start talkin smack about shrinkage:D hehehe

hey kayamedic you mention i think yours is a 240cm and sounds like a 280 would be not good for me are you saying too that a 260cm might work for me??? also thank you for the db tip on not past the hip!!!!!
    whoa!!! is that you in the heron from the wenonah brochure on page 14 if so NICE BOAT 😀
    OBA

kayamedic
    Participant

Paddle length depends on your height and the width of the gunwales and your seating position (height above the water). 280s tend to be long unless you are sitting in the bottom of a historical flared chine boat which has extra width.

I dont know what you need. Experiment with a piece of lumber to find out the right length.

I dont like We-no-nah canoes. Not me and not that Heron..mine is a Swift from the performance solo era of the early 90’s and late 80’s. Fast. few were built, most paddlers couldn’t stay in them..particularly seated in empty boat.

OneBadApple
    Participant

swift SWEET I Learn something new everyday!!!! hey good idea with the board i’ll try and figure something out,im sure it would be worth it.
    thanx
    oba

JacquesTrekker
    Participant

1st 25 yrs only single-blade. last 15 yrs solo / Bell Magic / i almost exclusively use a Bending Branches wooden double-blade 260 w/ drip-caps. I also bring along a carbon shaft straight-shaft single-blade for surfing, just more control….and for tight creek work (like Deux Riviere). My only occasional complaint is it can start feeling a little bit heavy on long paddles like rivers after 18-20km.

Jacques

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare