Video: Canoe Paddling-Canadian Style

Home Forums For Beginners Video: Canoe Paddling-Canadian Style

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    houlibar
    Participant

I found this while viewing Watersong’s utube video. I’m in awe. This demonstrates turns, pivots and paddlestrokes Canadian style… heeled over.

Canadian Style

Sweeper
    Participant

WOW!

OK but can you load a canoe up for a week and paddle like that? Because if you can I want to ty it on the Allagash next year.

houlibar
    Participant

@Sweeper 315 wrote:

WOW!

OK but can you load a canoe up for a week and paddle like that? Because if you can I want to ty it on the Allagash next year.

Well I can’t. They have a special name for people with flat bottom canoes that try stuff like that…. swimmers! :p

Preacher
    Participant

I haven’t seen the video yet, but there have been weekend trips when I’ve had a loaded canoe heeled over while paddling like a bat out of hell to get set up before the rain really starts pouring down. Also have gone down a couple of twisty rivers like that, loaded up.

pknoerr
    Participant

Preacher/Fly:

That’s that Kraiker video that made it’s way around MYCCR a few months ago. It’s a nice demonstration… and is quite easy to do regardless of whether the canoe is empty or full.

PK

Preacher
    Participant

Aha, I have seen it. Yeah it’s a great one. With stuff like that you really can pick up some fun ideas. Sometimes you end up in the drink, sometimes you look really cool.

kayamedic
    Participant

How come you wound up in the drink?

I have seen only a couple of people go over and thats because they were doing the three pivots one way and three the other under a hula hoop and were trying to keep their head in the hoop.

But they forgot where the boat was and their heads were waay over the water.

Gator bait…

Mind thy head and all shall be well.

Yes you can load up gear for three months and paddle like that..or paddle like that empty.

Most people who do extended trips need a small tandem at the least to carry all the gear. If they are solo this is the best position to maintain control over the whole boat. Their boat is going to be wide enough so you cannot do cross strokes effectively. My trips are in the two to three week range so I use a dedicated solo, about 28 inches wide..so this position isnt a requirement..though I do use it for a change of pace.

Though on the Allagash you will see people soloing from the bow seat backwards. You lose some control, but the Allagash is tame enough so the penalty isnt severe.

Preacher
    Participant

I remembered hearing something about a particular stroke and getting one’s face at/in the water. So I tried to find the balance and…whoops! “Mind thy head,” yeah.

FrankGarza
    Participant

I haven’t witnessed the particular online video media but, nevertheless we have seen weekend break outings when I’ve truly acquired some sort of filled paddling heeled above even though paddling just like a bat away from terrible for getting create prior to bad weather genuinely commences putting straight down. In addition have been down a few twisty streams prefer that, filled up.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare