Bomb-proof 2-3 Person Tent?

Home Forums Gear for the trip Bomb-proof 2-3 Person Tent?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Charlie
    Participant

Any suggestions out there for a rugged, 2-3 person tent?

I’m looking for something well-made enough for tundra-tripping … whipping winds, pelting rain, cats-and-dogs, snow, etc.

Maybe a Mountain Hardware EV or something like that?

— Charlie

pknoerr
    Participant

Are you planning to use this tent for mountaineering? Seems that would be way overkill for most canoeing adventures.

PK

tom-o
    Participant

Hi Charlie, tom-o here.
    I like mountain hardware tents; my only complaint is that the bug netting is on the inside of the nylon door, so if you want to adjust the ventilation of the door, you first have to unzip the bug netting to get at the door, which lets in lots of bugs. Makes sense for mountaineering trips, where you don’t want blowing snow to collect between the mesh and the door, but for canoeing it is less than ideal. Having said that, most of those tents have lots of other venting options as well, so you may not often need to vent using the door…my two cents.
    Hope all is well.

Charlie
    Participant

Agreed … on the “most canoeing adventures” aspect.

I am, though, looking for a tent for the long, north-of-treeline trips that offer all the elements listed — save for the flying house-pets.

— Charlie

OneBadApple
    Participant

if your a tripper you probably want something nylon and lightweight…but so you and others know i have a hillary “bomb been through the tornado in iron mountain area” proof and still standing in awesome conditon (we were luckly 13 miles north in randville mi when it hit) still had 70+ mph winds/ canvas cabin tent from the late 80’s thats a breeze to put up and solid as a rock…since we bought our popup i have no use for it or noway to put it on ebay,seen one go for 350.00 ebay heck it was only half that new!?!? dude musta really wanted that canvas tent on ebay…
    anyway i got one if your interested for a reasonable offer and shipping????
    OBA

pknoerr
    Participant

@Charlie 513 wrote:

Agreed … on the “most canoeing adventures” aspect.

I am, though, looking for a tent for the long, north-of-treeline trips that offer all the elements listed — save for the flying house-pets.

— Charlie

I’ve never been further north than Lat 65 during the summer, but based on that, I’d opt for a good 4 season, or even a good 3-4 season convertible with zip up panels. You’re more likely to get hot weather requiring tent ventilation than snow up there. Plus much of that area doesn’t get that much snow anyways where having a tent that sheds huge snowloads isn’t nearly an issue either. A well thought out 3-4 season complete with a full set of guylines will stand up in any of the winds.

HOOP where are you? He’s probably the guy on this board to talk to … he’s a veteren of numerous 30-50 day solo trips up in the barrens.

PK

AndyB
    Participant

Charlie,

I was pushing for a 3-person Hillberg tunnel tent for our next tent.

Bob O. raved about the Cabela’s expedition tent he used for the first time this summer. It seems a little heavy, but it’s apparently well made, will take a beating, and cheap.

Dave-S
    Participant

My wife and I got a Sierra Designs Meteor Lite (I think is the name) when we got married 13 years ago. The rainfly comes all the way to the ground so it is very rain-proof.

It has been a fantastic tent for us through BWCA trips, mountains in Colorado and down near Canyonlands in Utah.

It packs down pretty small for backpacking yet for the two of us it was always plenty of room. It was even OK with our 90 pound Golden Retriever in it in the BWCA – goofy dog liked to stretch out though when he slept… We went to sleep one night in the mountains of Colorado near Estes Park and when I woke up the next morning, there were 6 inches of snow that hadn’t been there the day before. Never even knew while we were inside.

Great tent for us and worth taking a look at.

AndyB
    Participant

Charlie’s looking for something that can really handle the wind and roomy. When you’re a long way from anywhere, and a 3-day storm blows in, your tent suddenly becomes the most important thing you own. Three season tents should be avoided.

The northern tundra of Nunavut and Nunavik (Quebec) is much windier than what most of us are use to. If you look at the map below, it’s even windier on average than the Canadian Prairie.
    Map of Canada winds

Charlie
    Participant

Andy B is right about what I’m looking for …

He and I — in separate camps — had to ride out a three-day blow on Angikuni Lake of the Kazan River (Nunavut) a few years back, and the tent my buddy and I were in … let’s just say had some problems with the conditions.

I could wring water out of my sleeping bag by mid-storm and had inventoried my store of clothing and decided to keep wearing the wet stuff I had on rather than changing and getting that final set wet.

When Andy B’s party paddled up after the storm passed, I think I was drying out a deck of playing cards in the sun!

So, yeah, I want something that’s tough-as-nails, that I can guy down tight, and that I can feel very confident in.

Andy B: Nice find, those wind maps!

Gerald
    Participant

Above the tree line you really do need a bomb-proof tent.
    You may not need it every moment of every day but on a long trip you’re sure to get some real nasty blasts.
    I use a 2 man MEC Lightfield as a one man tent up there.

There are many good mountaineering tents available.
    You may look at the Trango line from Mountain Hardware. For 2 people use a 3 man tent.

Once on the Horton river I seen a well tied down tent with 6 softball size rocks inside get lifted into the air and land on the opposite shoreline across the river.
    G.

Charlie
    Participant

Gerald …

Amen! I don’t think we ever left the tent “un-manned” in that storm even though it was guyed out to the maximum and full of ballast.

Since you mentioned the Trango, I should add that during the storm I referenced, we were camped with a gal that we flew into Kasba Lake with and had been leap-frogging during the trip — Hi Martha! — who had a Trango. I remember going over to her tent to visit after the first windy/rainy night to see if she was in the same boat we were, only to find her warm, happy, and dry.

Thanks for the advice … and the flying tent story!

tom-o
    Participant

Maybe the north face VE 25 is worth a look.
    Layman swears by them, but of course I never know if that is because they are great tents, or he got it for free and therefore feels obliged to hype it up:D

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?site=EU&model=AM5Q&language=en

-tom-o

AndyB
    Participant

I’ve thought some time about this question, the tent I’ve been eyeing is the Hilleberg Nallo 3GT.

The vestibule looks huge and the tent is suppose to be 6lbs.

I have a friend who uses a VE25 – certainly one of the most storm proof tents made, but heavy (over 10 lbs), and I wish the vestibule was bigger.

The other problem with storms is that you end up cooking in the vestibule, which becomes a delicate business (I once knocked a pot of boiling water onto my foot when I was winter camping under a tiny lean-to, my bubbled, oozing skin ended up meshing with my sock, so the next day I got to re-live the agony when I removed my sock at the doctors office.)

My wife also got burnt once when we knocked a cup of hot water over in a tent.

Canadienne
    Participant

@tom-o 539 wrote:

Maybe the north face VE 25 is worth a look.
    Layman swears by them, but of course I never know if that is because they are great tents, or he got it for free and therefore feels obliged to hype it up:D

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?site=EU&model=AM5Q&language=en

-tom-o

I’ll second this tent. I believe this is the newer model of the Expedition 25, which I have had for the past 10 years and haven’t had to do any repairs what-so-ever. I’ve never even seam-sealed the thing and it is still watertight. I’ve been through some pretty heavy snow, wind and rain storms and have never had an issue with staying warm or dry. I take it with me on all my BW trips and it is bomb-proof. I’m convinced it could withstand any weather condition.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare