Best all-around canoe for lake, river (I & II)

Home Forums About Canoes Best all-around canoe for lake, river (I & II)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    tinx75
    Participant

I am new to the forum and am hoping someone can give some sage advice. I live in the Phoenix area, and volunteer with a large church youth group (200 + kids, 11-18 years old). I would like to purchase eight canoes that are suitable for both lake and river use (river up to class II). I need boats that are safe, sturdy, durable, and reasonably affordable (I am hoping to budget $800 or less per boat – if I can get what I need in that price range). I would like boats with three seats. I have a master welder who is putting together a single-axle trailer for me, so transportation won’t be an issue. In my youth I spent many a happy day canoeing up to class III on the Green river in a Coleman boat that was a plastic boat reinforced with steel tubing, but that was a long time ago and things have changed a bit – I can’t seem to find any of that design on the market anymore. I have looked at the Old Town Saranac 160 and the Ascend 156, but they seem really flimsy to me (but maybe design has improved since my steel-reinforced Coleman boat?) All of my local big-box vendors (Bass Pro, Cabelas, Dicks, etc.) all carry the same stuff. Am I overthinking this and will the Old Town or Ascend boat meet my needs? Or can someone recommend a better option? Thanks very much.

kcanoe
    Keymaster

Hi tinx75 – that is a really good question — and I was a bit surprised that our forum members didn’t jump in with some suggestions right away, I asked the question on our facebook page and here are some responses:

David Shanteau Comment: I would go used for the price you are looking for. There was a outfitter going out of business in Texas that had the kind of boats you. I Would be looking. Look for Old Town discovery or Penobscott. They come in plastic and hold up well. Royalex boats 16-17 foot if you can find them. Tripper style look in the buyers guide. Contact me for more info.

Bull Moose Patrol Comment: If weight isn’t too much of an issue, I’d suggest looking at the Old Town Discovery 169. A good multi-purpose hull design, in a very rugged (possibly “kid-proof?”) material, that should meet his needs. If you hunt around you can find them quite cheap. Or, the legendary Old Town Tripper, essentially the same canoe, except in Royalex (only used ones available), slightly larger and lighter.

ManCamping.ca Comment: Might be an idea to look at outfitters that are selling off last years rental boats. They are typically hardy boats and sell for a lot less than new. We picked up a 15 foot Scott Prospector Kevlar for $700 last year this way. There is NOTHING wrong with it!

Marty Spinde Comment: Watch Craigslist or other ads for a used canoe. That is the best way to get a decent canoe at that price point.
    Having said that, I did manage to pick up a Mad River Explorer at a store on close out for $900. I consider that a fluke.

Bruce Ferguson Comment: I picked up a cedar strip off of kijiji for $200 a couple years ago. It is my go to canoe now.

See more at https://www.facebook.com/Canoeingcom and here’s the link to our classifieds where there might be a used canoe in your area: http://canoeingclassifieds.com/

hope that helps!
    kcanoe

kcanoe
    Keymaster

Hi tinx75 – that is a really good question — and I was a bit surprised that our forum members didn’t jump in with some suggestions right away, I asked the question on our facebook page and here are some responses:

David Shanteau Comment: I would go used for the price you are looking for. There was a outfitter going out of business in Texas that had the kind of boats you. I Would be looking. Look for Old Town discovery or Penobscott. They come in plastic and hold up well. Royalex boats 16-17 foot if you can find them. Tripper style look in the buyers guide. Contact me for more info.

Bull Moose Patrol Comment: If weight isn’t too much of an issue, I’d suggest looking at the Old Town Discovery 169. A good multi-purpose hull design, in a very rugged (possibly “kid-proof?”) material, that should meet his needs. If you hunt around you can find them quite cheap. Or, the legendary Old Town Tripper, essentially the same canoe, except in Royalex (only used ones available), slightly larger and lighter.

ManCamping.ca Comment: Might be an idea to look at outfitters that are selling off last years rental boats. They are typically hardy boats and sell for a lot less than new. We picked up a 15 foot Scott Prospector Kevlar for $700 last year this way. There is NOTHING wrong with it!

Marty Spinde Comment: Watch Craigslist or other ads for a used canoe. That is the best way to get a decent canoe at that price point.
    Having said that, I did manage to pick up a Mad River Explorer at a store on close out for $900. I consider that a fluke.

Bruce Ferguson Comment: I picked up a cedar strip off of kijiji for $200 a couple years ago. It is my go to canoe now.

See more at https://www.facebook.com/Canoeingcom and here’s the link to our classifieds where there might be a used canoe in your area: http://canoeingclassifieds.com/

hope that helps!
    kcanoe

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare