Adding additional seats

Home Forums For Beginners Adding additional seats

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Levetech
    Participant

Greetings!

I am new to canoeing and I found this site to be very helpful and has answered many of my questions. I just bought a used Lincoln ‘Concord’ conoe (link attached)
    http://www.lincolncanoe.com/canoes.htm

and I would like to add additional seats. I intend to use this with my wife and 2 kids – ages 7 and 4 and I am thinking that the kids would be better off sitting on a seat rather than the floor of the boat. I have found several sites that sell the cane seats and I am assuming that I can remove the rear thwart and use those 2 existing holes, along with drilling 2 more for one of the seats. I am not so sure about the other one though. I have seen a yoke/seat combination as a possible alternative.

I guess I am looking for some advice on this – is this even possible or am I way off base.

Thanks for your help.

Micmac
    Participant

I have these concerns in adding the two seats at the back thwart and center thwart (yoke) positions— space, center of gravity, bow-to-stern balance and esthetics. Before doing this I would consider old fashion boat custions for the kinds to sit or knee on or the folding wooden seats that are positioned on the floor of the canoe.

Replacement seats are available and can be cut to length and bolted in as you suggest, but adding two seats to a 17′ canoe is not recommended. I would consult with a Lincoln canoe dealer/retailer.

We tripped with our two kids, dog, and packs throught those (4-14 year) age peroids using a 17′ canoe. I always liked the fact that the kids were in the bottom of the canoe rather than higher up when the weather turned bad or the dog leaped to shore 6′ before the canoe arrived.

kayamedic
    Participant

Call Sandy at Lincoln Canoe in Freeport ME

207-865-0455

Crazy Creek Chairs are useful in this situation.

Your kids are going to grow and your seven year old already should be paddling. The four year isnt far behind. If they are showing an interest in paddling be prepared to let them do so.

My grandson is five and this summer he got his own canoe. He was my tandem partner last year at four (ballasted the bow for sure!) and now he is double blading his solo. Next weekend we are working with a single blade.

Since five year olds have the attention span of a fly, this will take some time.

Woolmer
    Participant

There are manufactures who specialize in fishing canoes/kayaks. Here is one to check out–

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare