paddle suggestion for long river trip

Home Forums Gear for the trip paddle suggestion for long river trip

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Newanderthal
    Participant

I’ve been canoeing since I was a kid, but I’ve always used a cheap paddle with an aluminum shaft and plastic blade. Now that I’m more serious about canoeing, I’m looking to get a better pair of paddles. Mostly I’m on slow rivers but occasionally go to the lake. In about 2 years I’ll be taking a long river trip. My question is this, what kind of paddle is best for river paddling? I expect to be facing lots of wind and also using the paddle to push off when I launch each day.

What would you guys suggest?

voyageur
    Participant

I usually carry two different types of paddles — one is a straight shaft wooden “beater” paddle that I use for very shallow water and technical whitewater and a lighter, bent-shaft carbon one for use during most of the trip. I prefer bent-shaft because it is a lot are more efficient. I have been using a bent-shaft for many years and am more comfortable with it than a staight shaft. This, however, is a personal more of a personal preference.

tonyvav
    Participant

I agree with Voyaguer, a beater paddle for the rocks and when you “push off” and a light weight, high tech one for the long paddles.
    I prefer a 7 degree bent shaft, works great for the stern paddler. Spending a little extra $ on a paddle that fits you and feels good in your hands will make a big difference after the first few hours of paddling.

Newanderthal
    Participant

I was looking at some of the paddles from whiskeyjack like the Whiskey River as my main paddle and keeping an aluminum shaft/plastic blade paddle for rocks and as a backup.

Rob Kesselring
    Participant

Different advice. I would suggest you go with a quality straight shaft wooden paddle with protected (rockguard) tip. True enough that bent shafts are a little more efficient but unless you are racing their advantage in speed is outweighed by the variety of strokes that you can use with a straight shaft. This is especially true on river trips. A wood straight shaft is also stronger and more durable than a carbon bent shaft- plus this time of year you can find a nice one for under $100 and maybe half that. Oil the grip and strip the varnish from the part of the shaft you hold with your lower hand and oil that. There’s nothing like wood and you will notice a major change in your canoeing experience. Happy Paddling -Rob

jasoncharles
    Participant

Appreciate the advice guys. I’m going to start looking at Whiskey River paddles to see if anything will fit me right.

natecanoes
    Participant

ever since switching to carbon, I will never go back to wood. The carbon paddles are so much lighter, and a dream to paddle with. Check out Zaveral paddles. ZRE makes the best carbon paddles on earth in my opinion, and their heavyweight ones are quite durable. You can get them in any angle. I use their standard 12 degree and am very very happy with it

Beaverjack
    Participant

I like the Bending Branches Explorer Plus. It’s not too expensive, light, and durable. Carbon is nice but dropping that kind of cake on a paddle is hard to do.

WillisB
    Participant

Bent shaft most of the time. Straight shaft for maximum maneuverability in twisty streams and white water.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare