Does Anyone Use A Solostrap?

Home Forums Advanced Paddlers Does Anyone Use A Solostrap?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    pake rick
    Participant

New thread on a related issue from marathon paddling thread.

Just wondering what you folks use-those of you who paddle canadian style-if anything,when ‘kneeling’?

My 60 year old knees are pretty good, but kneeling or sitting on my ankles does get to me after a half hour or so.
    When doing a high kneel for some ‘dance moves’ I could take it for awhile, but for cruising for a long time….? I’ve been using a Solostrap for some time now and have grown to really like it. Yeah, you’ve got to ‘futz around’ a little to get it set up the first time, but after that it’s not a problem. Actually, I modified my portage yoke so that it can be quickly moved about 12 inchces forward. That gives me plenty of room to slide the strap mount fore and aft depending on conditions. It has saved my legs and I can paddle canadian style for hours on end if I want to.

Another thing I like about the set up is the solid connection I get now between the hull and my butt.

I don’t know that you can even get the strap anymore, but it could certainly be easily made.

What do you use, if anything? Kneeling thwart? Buddha bench? Sack o’beans?

rick

kayamedic
    Participant

All three are good choices. I use BuddaBench, Becky Mason uses a big bag o beans

There is anothe alternative: the Azland Saddle Seat

http://www.azlandtraditions.com/leather_Saddleseat.html

It can be adapted to closed gunwale canoes

I have seen something made out of PVC pipe and nylon webbing..it might have been a DIY project

Dan Miller
    Participant

I love my Azland saddle seat. Well enough that I offer it as a standard option on my canvas canoes…

Cheers,
    Dan

canuckcamper
    Participant

I paddle a tandem even when going solo….turn it around and sit backwards on the bow seat….tooooo many hours spent riding a desk at work usually results in me switching back and forth from kneeling to sitting trying to relieve pressure on the knees and ankles!

Kirk

kayamedic
    Participant

Canuckcamper, thats always a possibility though when you are that far back there is going to be loss of control as you are pretty far back from the pivot point..that is a little ahead of the widest point of the boat when underway.

The alternatives posed were for soloing a tandem boat and getting you positioned nice and close to the pivot point.

ClarkPeters
    Participant

Is the Solostrap still made? IIRC, it was sold by Nashwaak. I thought they went out of business. Is someone else making it?

Pete

pake rick
    Participant

Pete,

Good question, but I don’t know myself whether someone else has started to produce them. It’s not something a guy could retire on, and it could certainly be re-produced by a DIY’r.

I like the support and adjustability fore and aft.

rick

houlibar
    Participant

I’m still scratching my head trying to figure out how this solo strap is supposed to work saving your knees. :confused:

Is it something that’s attached to the gunwales and it supports your knees like a sling or hammock?

kayamedic
    Participant

It takes some of the pressure off your knees as it supports your butt. Also takes some of the pressure off your ankles. Lots of people cant kneel directly on their feet or heels for long.

It functions like a kneeling thwart in a boat that doesnt have one permanently attatched. Some people that have tandems and need to solo them but also need to carry lots of gear prefer a strap over something not easily movable.

Dedicated solo boats of course have a seat in the right place;)

Yes some people can actually sit in the Azland seat without falling out.

houlibar
    Participant

Ahhh… now it makes sense. Thanks! 🙂

Preacher
    Participant

What about making one out of webbing? Might that work?

pake rick
    Participant

@Preacher 442 wrote:

What about making one out of webbing? Might that work?

Oh yeah Preacher, it wouldn’t be hard at all to make one if you’re so inclined.

I’ll take a few pictures if I can. I’m bringing it along on my trip with Bman next week. Maybe he’ll model it for us. :p

rick

Boneli
    Participant

I will model anything as long as I am wearing the canoe:p

Bman with straps!:eek:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare