canoe hat???

Home Forums Gear for the trip canoe hat???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    OneBadApple
    Participant

normally when its warm out i tie on a bandanna brett michaels style…. now that its startin to chill i’ll just toss on my olive “stormy” for paddlin i was reading in a canoe magazine one of em in my library, canoeroots it is in the back and it reads canoeing hats are as precious as they are ugly…well then yall have any pics or stories on your favorite i wanna see ugly!?!?!?
    oba
    i suppose if it dont quit rainin out i could whip on my cheesehead but thats a beauty!!!!

PaddlePalooza
    Participant

you could get an elmerfud hat like bushman’s:D

houlibar
    Participant

Our last visit in the UP, wifey’s sister gave me a ‘Buzz Off’ cap. If it continues to get sun and wet, it should attain ‘ugly’ status in a few seasons!

Of course I am alway looking for that perfect hat. So someday I may find a bush hat that suits my liking.

OBTW, this isn’t an off topic thread. It’s Gear for the Trip! 😎

Charlie
    Participant

Houlibar,

Good point about where this thread should be; I’m moving it to “Gear” now …

— Charlie

Preacher
    Participant

Here’s one for the ‘ugly’ collumn. $10 hat topped with a bug net.
    439973631_3e2976a4fa.jpg

OneBadApple
    Participant

well there is the winner:D
    finally a photo. right when i was gonna loose faith in this thread the preacher pops up now aint that something!?!?! thanx preacher cool hat
    OBA

Brammy
    Participant

I just use my filson hat. I do not know what it is called, it is just a cheap wide brimmed waxed canvas hat. It is great to keep sun and rain off my neck. I put my skeeter net over it and the brim keeps the net off my face. I also take a silk scarf. It can be used as a sling if I need it, or a hat, silk is very warm when used “Aunt Jemima style”. It is alos a neck gaiter to keep the wind off the back of my neck. As a solo canoe guy, my stuff has to have many uses or it does not get packed. Also as a soloist, I can look real dorky, buy no one see’s me.

Brammy

houlibar
    Participant

@Preacher 607 wrote:

Here’s one for the ‘ugly’ collumn. $10 hat topped with a bug net.

😮 Now that’s a hat! But ‘ugly’ doesn’t even begin to describe it! :p That’s just what I would want when the bugs were biting though. ‘Cept I am generally accompanied by the fashion police, or fashionista’s. :rolleyes:

Preacher
    Participant

One of my favourite Jaws quotes, “That’s one bad hat, Harry.”

OneBadApple
    Participant

fashion police… lol too funny lisa always freeks out when i throw on a pair of white socks with my tevas 😀

kayamedic
    Participant

For summer touring I like my cotton Tilley..can dunk it and keep cool, can apply repellent to the hatband and dont have to put it on me.

For whitewater or winter its a skullcap made out of neoprene with a windblock layer. It fits under a helmet or a wool hat.

For Louisiana and hot weather a wide brimmed straw hat with lots of ventilation

OneBadApple
    Participant

do you mean bug repellent???
    i’ve never tried that method and if it works THAT WOULD BE GREAT, last night lisa and i went out paddling island lake area and the mosquitos were thick as all get out (mid 80’s in michigan in october aint right!!) and we just poured on the deep woods OFF and i hate that stuff but it works…now if i could keep’m off my ankles with a shot around my hat why i’d owe you big time…..
    oba

Hillbilly
    Participant

My hat has been a controversy over may week and years.
    See me at:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/hillbilly_temagami/sets/72157600771088465/

Bill

OneBadApple
    Participant

why thats a SHARP hat hillbilly… i have one sumptin like that….always wear it when im twangin on my gibson hummingbird…and im hear to tell you if yah like good ol hillbilly music hank williams sr’z grandson HANK III is awesome…. pick up his 06 CD “straight to hell” and you’ll be knee slappin for life!!!!! just don’t get the edited version cuz its missing too many songs….
    well i like the hat:cool:
    OBA

Nancy
    Participant

@OneBadApple 636 wrote:

why thats a SHARP hat hillbilly… i have one sumptin like that….always wear it when im twangin on my gibson hummingbird…
    well i like the hat:cool:
    OBA

Hillbilly, somebody else besides me likes your hat!!!! HeavyK, where are you now? 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare