canadian style

Home Forums For Beginners canadian style

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    OneBadApple
    Participant

went out today in the kipawa first time solo,well i thought i’d gve it a try….well i didn’t dump it..that canoe of mine rocks (good thing,for all who aint hip) i kept sliding over little at a time closer and closer to the edge well when i got it all on the edge,i began very slowly and some what shakey i’ll admit but had fun tryin probably went 1/2 mile upstream (huron river real slow current) feelin kinda silly not really knowing wth i was doing but at least i looked cool when i passed these kayaks and a rental canoe(oh yah i heard her say wth honey is he trying to tip that canoe??) gotta admit though everytime a slight breeze would come up there goes apple… right into the dam weeds !!! every freekin time seemed like the boat on its side wanted to be a sailboat?? oh yeh my legs went numb too went to stand up and stretch out and opps went right back on my butt (numb too i guess) and cracked my noggin on the stern seat so i ended up wondering if this style is for me??? felt cool when it went well but like i said i spent more time blown to shore and whoa the lump on my head!!!!!
    any good dvds for instruction out there???? cant do the you tube download here…
    just tryin to share my canoe trip of the day!!!!
    beginner section for sure
    OBA

Preacher
    Participant

pmanim4.gif
    Study this. 😮

Sorry you can’t youtube for it. Rolf & Debbie Kraiker have a couple great ones posted there.

canuckcamper
    Participant

That is priceless Preacher!

Kirk

OneBadApple
    Participant

lol im studying:D thats great preacher….

kayamedic
    Participant

Eventually you will get used to standing and need not wear a helmet;)

And you will get used to kneeling for longer and longer periods.

Keep messing around with the boat. Its always fun to listen to bystanders who have no clue what you are doing.

I think Canadians spend the winter watching TV kneeling.

You can always make a mini saddle to take pressure off your knees. Make sure you have a comfy pad. That really helps.

tedtrips
    Participant

A Kipawa is my tandem canoe. Even at my weight (100K) I find it skittish without a lot of gear in it. I usually throw in a couple of large water jugs (20l each) if there is a wind blowing and I want to solo.

Nice canoe
    Ted

bushgirl
    Participant

Canadian chick here, but I’ll be of no help with this subject. Never really done the solo, side sitting thing. You might be right about the kneeling things though. Whenever I’m paddling around with someone I end up on my knees. At the beginning of summer I can only stand it for 10 minutes or so, but by the end of summer it doesn’t seem to matter at all anymore.

From what I can see, looks like you only need to get used to sitting on the side.. then you can put in your regular strokes. Most important thing to learn is that j-stroke thing… they call it something else… I just call it the flicking j-stroke. You do the same motion but flick out instead of dragging the paddle behind you (which just slows you down). It’s the best thing to learn… I won a canoe race at Canada Day a couple years ago because of that stroke.

Armory1956
    Participant

For what it is worth, I don’t have a problem with being able to create a death knight on any server, even one you have never been on before. I feel the same about any other class. If I have taken a warrior to level X on one server, why should I have to level one up on another. How many times to I have to kill Hogger for heavens sake.warhammer online gold cheap warhammer gold

alieen
    Participant

well i didn’t dump it..that canoe of mine rocks (good thing,for all who aint hip) i kept sliding over little at a time closer and closer to the edge well when i got it all on the edge,i began very slowly and some what shakey i’ll admit but had fun tryin probably went 1/2 mile upstream (huron river real slow current) feelin kinda silly not really knowing wth i was doing but at least i looked cool when i passed these kayaks and a rental canoe(oh yah i heard her say wth honey is he trying to tip that canoe??) gotta admit though everytime a slight breeze would come up there goes apple………..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare