30 day solo trip into Woodland Caribou focused on fishing for walleye and trout.Ideas

Home Forums Woodland Caribou Provincial Park 30 day solo trip into Woodland Caribou focused on fishing for walleye and trout.Ideas

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jagksa
    Participant

Lake and campsite recommendations?
    Ideas for gear I haven’t thought of?
    Do I really need bear spray? C’mon!
    I’m an experienced BWCA and Quetico paddler, but going solo for the first time on an extended trip. Words of wisdom?
    Going to have Harlan outfit me completely.

caribou
    Keymaster

I don’t have much information about your trip to go by but with 30 days, you will have plenty of time to cover most of the park. If walleye fishing is of interest to you, you may want to check out the fish listing available on this website for Woodland Caribou Provincial Park. If you are interested in increasing your chances of viewing a caribou, you may want to spend some time in the Jake, Paull, Broken Arrow, Sylvia, Carrol, Royd, Mary’s areas.
    As for gear, again, without knowing exactly what you are already bringing with you, for a 30-day trip, a fishing rod, lures, and fishing licence is a good idea. A good stand-alone tent (not much top soil here), a little storm tarp, spare paddle, rope, communication device (sat phone available for rent via your outfitter), a good river pack bag, dehydrated meals, water filter, knife/ax, a good hand saw, detailed maps, etc…. Outfitters usually have a list of recommended camping and paddling gear that you can request.
    Bear spray is not a requirement but can provide you with added protection if needed. It is a matter of personal peace of mind if you want to carry a bear spray… however it is important to know that you may not bring bear spray across the US/Canadian border. Bear spray must be purchased in Canada. Keep your camp clean and oder free, pay attention to fresh bear signs and avoid those areas for camping, make noise when portaging, have a whistle for use if you suspect a bear in the area, etc… There have been very few recorded bear encounters in WCPP but sightings are common.
    Words of Wisdom – travel at your own pace, not a race, special attention to details, be observant of tripping hazard, wildlife, weather patterns, take precaution against sun, fatique, dehydration, filter your drinking water, have a means of communication be it a SPOT or Sat phone. With 30 days, you will cover a lot of ground, explore many routes, experience many great beauty, find some challenging trails and watch beautiful sunsets, greet many sunrises.

jagksa
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. Harlan of Red Lake Outfitters is fully outfitting me. I’m only planning on about 10 primary campsites to fish for walleye and trout… any suggestions? I’ll be taking daily day trips out of camp. I would like to see caribou… so thanks for the tip on lakes. I’m bringing a food barrel, do I still need to hang it? What about a bug shirt. Will have everything else you mentioned. Thanks again

caribou
    Keymaster

Looks like you are in good hands. Harlan will be able to help you with your trip planning. Good walleye and trout fishing, Mexican Hat is always a good stop. So are Young (walleye), Linge (walleye/trout), Talon (trout), Aegean (trout) and many more. You might want to refer to the fish listing available on our information page within this website. Please keep in mind that campsites are managed to be primitive… no structures are permitted nor is the cutting of live trees and brush. Most campsites are marked by a fire ring.
    We always recommend that food be hung. Although, in many areas in the park, trees are young or do not lend themselves to easy food hanging. At the very least, food/garbage should stored away from the campsite and any cleaning of fish should be done out on the lake shore away from any campsite or portage trails. Fish entrails may be left on an exposed rock for birds. Review the park regulations regarding best backcountry practices.
    Bugs? Mosquitoes will come out at dusk for a couple of hours. During the day, not so much. Black flies may find you in some areas of the park and depending on weather but generally not bad especially at this time of the summer. If you are lucky, you may hit a bug-free window. If wearing a bug shirt does not bother you, you may want to bring. I find that it is generally not required.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Canoeing.com
Login/Register access is temporary disabled
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare